jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why is the -ent on the end of the ils and elles forms of verbs in the present te

1. profile image45
    charlie51posted 8 years ago

Why is the -ent on the end of the ils and elles forms of verbs in the present tense silent?

2. profile image45
    charlie51posted 8 years ago

I probably didn't make this clear enough! What I should have said is, "Why is the -ent on the end of the ils and elles forms of French verbs in the present tense not pronounced?" Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

3. kasparaskari profile image50
    kasparaskariposted 8 years ago

I asked my french teacher about this today in class, we learned back in my first year of French that we don't pronounce it, but I never knew why...
    So, apparently, he doesn't know the reason either tongue

The basic rule is that if it's a verb, the plural form of ils or elles isn't pronounced, the reason? I have no idea, go figure!

Sorry, not very helpful...

4. ritosolange profile image54
    ritosolangeposted 8 years ago

The French do not pronounce this because it would sound like the -ez form or possibly the -ons form of the verb. There are plenty of things that occur in every language that just are...it's just part of the learning process! But this is the best explanation I've gotten so far.

5. Ranveer Bhatia profile image61
    Ranveer Bhatiaposted 4 years ago

ritosolange has given the right explanation. This is what I have always known as the reason why -ent remains silent in 3rd person plural in the present tense as you asked. Hope that helps!

working