jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why, on surveys or demographic forms, is there always a question asking whether

1. scramble profile image65
    scrambleposted 7 years ago

Why, on surveys or demographic forms, is there always a question asking whether you are of...

Hispanic Origin or not? It seems very arbitrary. What is so special about being/not being of Hispanic Origin, specifically?

2. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 7 years ago

Good question that I do not have the answer to. It was not so "back in the day."

3. Judah's Daughter profile image78
    Judah's Daughterposted 7 years ago

I get disturbed by that question, too, though I am not of hispanic origin (that I know of).  It seems very discriminatory.  I suppose one motive might be that employers or government agencies would then check the legality of that person living and/or working in the U.S. (identifying illegal immigrants)?  While there may be illegal immigrants of various nationalities, stats say 90% or more are of hispanic origin.  I really don't know...

4. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Hey Scramble, you seem to be a little mixed up.  What difference does it matter why they ask for your ethnicity? The word "demographics"? If you are not sure what it means, then I would suggest you look it up.

There are plenty of reason, that probably could be made into a hub, for asking someone what their ethnicity is while doing a survey or poll or for that fact anything. Especially, when writing is involved in the activity.

The United States of America prides itself on the "melting pot" of different ethnic/racial background of the citizenry. The information is used in more ways than one can count on both hands.