Can I become a child's piano teacher with very little training of my own?

1. profile image47
    momcatposted 7 years ago

Can I become a child's piano teacher with very little training of my own?

I basically taught myself to play the piano, but I play at the intermediate/advanced level.  I also am very good at sight-reading.  I am no longer able to do the work I've done most of my adult life due to health issues.  Now I'm a client of Vocational Rehabilitation, and they want me to find out if I can become a part-time piano teach.  I just don't know where to start.  Can you and your readers give me some advice?

2. EpicNoob profile image48
    EpicNoobposted 7 years ago

Well firstly it depends whether you can read music and understand a little music theory. I think it's fundamental to a younger learner to grasp the concepts of music theory just because it's a great foundation to build upon. It doesn't take long to learn if you don't.

Other than that, if you're aware of the right playing technique/posture etc. I don't see why you couldn't teach beginners? It'd be a great way to advance your skill too.

3. Rose West profile image82
    Rose Westposted 7 years ago

I already replied to your question on my hub, but just to follow up... yes, I think you could teach piano to beginning children. You might want to do some studying and extra practice before you begin. Decide on a curriculum to teach from and look at the order of things in the books. I wrote another hub on the First Lesson, if you want to check it out.

working