jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's the difference between cement and concrete?

1. profile image51
    honestjordan97posted 7 years ago

What's the difference between cement and concrete?

2. profile image0
    Audacious Shelleyposted 7 years ago

Cement is wet and sticky, and once it has dried, it forms concrete.

3. sajal.mark profile image60
    sajal.markposted 7 years ago

Cement is the adhesive element of concrete. It helps the fine aggregate (sand), coarse aggregate (stone chips), and water to bond together to form the structure. The mixture is known as concrete.

4. vivinsofs profile image55
    vivinsofsposted 7 years ago

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary the definitions for Cement and Concrete are as follows

"...a powder of alumina, silica, lime, iron oxide, and magnesium oxide burned together in a kiln and finely pulverized and used as an ingredient of mortar and concrete."
    "...a hard strong building material made by mixing a cementing material (as portland cement) and a mineral aggregate (as sand and gravel) with sufficient water to cause the cement to set and bind the entire mass."
    A very easy way to understand this: Concrete is a MIX of portland cement, sand and water.
    Since you will constantly see the term "Portland cement" used as a primary ingredient in hypertufa recipes, I'll add it, also:

"...a type of hydraulic cement made by heating a limestone and clay mixture in a kiln and pulverizing the resulting material."
    Now that we've got this issue cleared up, please investigate my hypertufa and concrete projects. I know you'll find something that will catch your eye!