jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are male betta fish peaceful in a community tank?

1. profile image51
    hawkinsdedo99posted 7 years ago

Are male betta fish peaceful in a community tank?

2. bonnebartron profile image77
    bonnebartronposted 7 years ago

i believe betta fish are kept solitary for a reason, unless you like scales floating in pinkish water....

3. profile image50
    jeorgebanny302posted 7 years ago

In fact, they make excellent fish for peaceful community tanks, ... I decided to set up a betta tank,

4. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Stand by for a hub, since this is the second time I've seen this particular question tongue. Jeorgebanny is absolutely right, they make excellent community fish. They are kept isolated in pet stores because the males are extremely competitive with each other and will try to hurt or kill one another, but they do very well with small, non-nippy fish of other species such as neon tetras, cardinal tetras, platies, etc. Any semi-aggressive community fish such as swordtails and barbs are a bad idea because they will shred the betta's fins. It's also quite popular to have a "sorority tank" or all-female betta tank.

5. danmayerisgod profile image73
    danmayerisgodposted 7 years ago

They have a reputation for being aggressive, but I've seen at least one instance where two males were placed in the same tank and did not act aggressively. It depends on different factors, I think, like whether or not a female is present, the time of year, abundance of food, etc.

6. IdaKenelm profile image58
    IdaKenelmposted 7 years ago

When I had a fish tank, I found one male beta to do fine with other fish, as long as there were at least six of each other kind of fish.  (Six fish makes the minimum # required for a school.)

With multiple schools in my tank the beta's were left in peace and left other fish alone.  When there were too few fish, either the beta would get picked on or pick on others.  It just depended on the breed.