jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Tell me: on some television shows and in some movies where the Devil appears, he

1. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Tell me: on some television shows and in some movies where the Devil appears, he frequently...

shows a great concern for getting people to sign over their souls to him. What is this fixation about? Where does this come from? Is it Biblical tradition?

2. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

since the devil is a fictional character, any motivations would come from the writer of the tv show or movie.  or maybe god gives her a % for every soul she diverts from heaven [cutting down on the overhead to maintain heaven and all its angelic choirs, etc]

steve

3. ExpandYourMind profile image74
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

I can't say I know the Bible as well as some, But I know biblically, Satan often attempts to separate you from your soul and from those around you, i.e. family, friends, etc. Perhaps, this is part of this fixation?

4. Jason R. Manning profile image86
    Jason R. Manningposted 7 years ago

I will try not to complicate this for you; yes, Satan’s purpose is to separate us from God.  Hollywood using the contract illustration is a simple and visual way of demonstrating a sheep being separated from the flock.  God put us here to share a relationship with him and for us to obey and worship only him.  Satan is a jealous being and wants glory to himself, thus he feels vindicated every time he turns away a soul from God.  Satan cannot have our souls, but if we do not live for God, then we are not of his flock.  This is why there are so many instances of politicians, movie stars and musicians who are ripe for this metaphor.  They feel they have earned the devotion and love of a crowd and therefore no longer need the guidance of Christ, or to humble themselves before the Lord.  God gave us a deep desire for spiritual searching, a want that cannot be satiated on this earth.  I hope this helps you.

working