jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you feel about some schools eliminating music and art programs in their s

1. CarolineVABC profile image76
    CarolineVABCposted 7 years ago

How do you feel about some schools eliminating music and art programs in their schools?

Other than "budget crisis."

2. John B Badd profile image59
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

I think it is a shame but as a tax payer I have to admit I would rather have my taxes going towards increasing academic scores than funneled into an art or music program.  Maybe  failing schools should focus on academics and the arts should be a reward for students who meet academic goals.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I don't feel anything, feeling is to do with emotion, to do with not thinking objectivly.
    I do think that it is shortsighted, any education system that only concentrates on the 3 Rs is not going to produce well rounded, well educated adults, it is the arts and humanities that create free thinkers.

4. Lisa Betts profile image61
    Lisa Bettsposted 7 years ago

I am quite disturbed about this.Music and Art is all around us,Both begin with a thought,that thought leads to a creation.I fully believe that it starves the soul when we push these 2 subjects asside,Art and music is EVERY bit as important as english reading and math.We want our children to be able to read,write,and do arithmatic,Is this where the road ends?If so then everyone who believes that Music and art are not needed in our schools,I am challenging you now.Blindfold yourself so you cannot see any buildings,stores,resteraunts,or parks.If your outside,If your indoors blindfold yourself so you can't see any pictures on the walls of your house or any nic-nacs.Now plug your ears so you wont hear any noise from T.V.or radio.I want you to sit in your own dark silence.This is how the world would be without music and art.Both of these valuable subjects have been taken for granted.It is time we as a society realize they're importance to this world.Our children deserve an opportunity to experiance both worlds without the belittlement.

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 7 years ago

It would be incorrect ... but seems its now on the cards  ... materialists believe in a Material world, hence their idea of removing the Arts from human Education ... instead, encouraging the buying and selling of past masters masterpieces, and symphonies... where millions of dollars are involved.

Art  ... Painting, Music etc., is a Form of Human Expression.
    It is essential for retaining our sanity ... try save yourself ... if you can ... from the purists of Physical ism.

Closed to reply