jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What is more educating? Books or Television?

1. EinsFloW profile image65
    EinsFloWposted 7 years ago

What is more educating? Books or Television?

2. workn2it profile image80
    workn2itposted 7 years ago

Books are more educating,unless reading ability is low and a person is struggling with understanding what they read.  In that case, an educational television show is great.  It is also good to use supplementary to the reading.  You get more information about a subject when you read about it.  You can review it in detail a little better.

3. profile image0
    4youreyesposted 7 years ago

That would depend on what kind of books you read and what you watch on T.V. There are many books you can read and not learn a thing and then there are others that all they have are knowledge.The same is true for the Television some programming is very educational while other stuff should never be put on the air.

4. profile image0
    Yarightposted 7 years ago

It really depends on your style of learning.

Some learn better by hands on (kinesthetic), visual, or auditory.

In my opinion I enjoy television, because I can visually see whats being taught while listening to what they are saying. For instance the History channel one of the only TV channels I watch I learn a lot from it. While on the other hand books tend to make me sleepy, and want to skim through the information; which can make me lose out on a lot of useful facts.

I believe both Television and Books can provide a great education, but to have only one source for your information is just cheating yourself.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image99
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

It's hard for me to believe that you actually asked that question.

6. AKdude profile image61
    AKdudeposted 7 years ago

Reading is generally a better education tool because you are an active participant. Watching TV you are just an observer and it's too easy to just tune out. When you are reading your brain is engaged. That is not necessarily true with TV.

7. justom profile image70
    justomposted 7 years ago

If you're a more visual learner, like I am, T.V. wins!!

8. FloBe profile image81
    FloBeposted 7 years ago

I think books are more educating that TV because in most cases you have to form your own thoughts around what you've read and come to your own conclusion. Often TV will give you an already formed opinion and you simply have to accept or reject it.
    In reading you have to use your own imagination and think about what something might look like or be like. On TV the imaginative part has been done for you.

9. Research Analyst profile image81
    Research Analystposted 7 years ago

I would say it depends on what the subject matter is about, some television programs can be educational, especially ones that cover documentaries or talk about science, nature or world news.

Non-fiction books can be educational if they are not out-dated and are current with what is going on in the specific industries. That is why some libraries are not very good because they keep old books with information that is not accurate any more.

10. prasannastudies profile image59
    prasannastudiesposted 7 years ago

Its surely education is more important than tv or other things. please read my blog "Why we need Education" here :http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-we-need-Education

working