What is more important- education or luck- to succeed in life?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. rajan jolly profile image91
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

What is more important- education or luck- to succeed in life?

2. Smokes Angel profile image61
    Smokes Angelposted 12 years ago

Education.  Without furthering your education past high school you have no chance of finding a reasonably well paid job.  Working at McDonalds and a regular factory will never get you any where.  Take it from experience

3. penelopae profile image64
    penelopaeposted 12 years ago

Education, but a little luck never hurt anybody either.

4. engelfantasydream profile image60
    engelfantasydreamposted 12 years ago

education is very important..do we got many billionaires who are college drop out  like gates and jobs, and also just high school graduates..i think "TALENT AND SKILLS" are the best thing to posses in order for us to succeed..and it is not about luck..i think it is more on perseverance,dedication and determination to succeed!!! and you can call it luck or whatever you like to label it!!!.. and in this world we are living,, the system is corrupted and ghastly to the extreme..most of the time., it is not " WHAT YOU KNOW" but instead "WHO YOU KNEW" ..that will give you a break in your choosen career or field of expertise!!!..and that is so sad and unfair..and more tragic truth is..other will use other people in whatever means or ways..even in stepping on their emotions and ruin their lives..just to get what they want,  and be so called" SUCCESSFUL".i've observe a lot of those kinds..we got our own means and ways to succeed..so depending on what kind of person you are and your ideologies in life..it will determine what is important to you as your means or ways to "SUCCEED" in life!!???..or rather you mean..."CAREER"..."LIFE" is not a career!!..

5. profile image35
    saisarannagaposted 12 years ago

The basic for life is really 'education'. Luck plays only the second fiddle!

6. ajuvr profile image61
    ajuvrposted 12 years ago

educating u'rself of 'pick-luck- quick' is too important at the end of the day

7. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

It depends on what you mean by "education." Basically, education is knowledge, which one can get in many ways. The term is abused, however, to mean "certification," and unless your ambition is to work in a licensed profession requiring a particular degree that's worthless.

The monster hidden in the educational closet is that the average college bachelor will never earn enough extra out of it to get back the cost of his degree. The system is fraudulent, selling empty promise for a huge flow of cash off which many of its insiders live high. So it was with the Medieval church colleges, and so it is with the secular colleges of today.

So, the answer is that if by "education" you mean knowledge you can use to get along well in life, then that is more important than luck. If by "education" you mean becoming certified by the established educational system, then luck counts for more in today's world.

8. mathira profile image77
    mathiraposted 12 years ago

You need education to gather knowledge, but hard work with a bit of luck can make you very successful.

9. Bella Nina profile image59
    Bella Ninaposted 12 years ago

Hard work, experience and recognizing a good opportunity when it comes your way.  Education and luck do play a role.  Timing is everything as they say.

10. hawkdad73 profile image59
    hawkdad73posted 12 years ago

Education.  If you end up getting lucky and succeeding, you will have an education to fall back on.

11. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Since I have never ever believed in "Luck" I guess I will have to say education. Knowledge and Wisdom go hand in hand.

12. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

Education without a doubt.  With education we make our own luck in life.

13. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 12 years ago

I believe in education although not necessarily formal education. The internet has provided us with a wealth of information that we could never have imagined.

Our current business, we learned though reading articles on the internet. No text books but lots of research by people who are learning as they go and sharing this information.

14. mimind profile image61
    mimindposted 12 years ago

neither its more aboout outlook you can be happy = sucessful in most anything if your happy and meeting your personal standards

15. Godzangel profile image60
    Godzangelposted 12 years ago

In the bible God says "My people perish because of lack of knowledge."  You definitely need good education.  I'm not saying Ivy league level or nothing but you need a good foundation.  I don't believe in luck, I believe in good opportunities.  When something good happens to you, it is important to know whats going on.  This is where the education comes in.  For example, you land an awesome job that pays great money.  Cool! But here's the thing, there may be information that you don't know that may keep you from getting more paper.  Even worse if you're not educated someone may screw you over and take advantage of what you don't know and you may or may not find out.  I graduated college with a 4 year degree in Business Mgmt.  Honestly,  I don't remember most of the stuff I learned.  What I did learn is how to deal with professional people, read people, and recognize when something is not right.  I made sure I remembered what makes a good manager so I can stay away from the bad ones.  Oh yeah, I learned this recently, you will never be more successful than the 5 people around you, in most cases.  So keep the dummies out of ya circle! 1NELOVE!

16. alipuckett profile image71
    alipuckettposted 12 years ago

Education, of course!  However, I think we can't discount the luck factor.  Sometimes, you can do everything possible and still not succeed.  There are just some things that really do come down to the roll of the dice.

17. malakam profile image40
    malakamposted 12 years ago

Education without a luck is not equal to anything
    luck without education is not equal to anything
    Both are required
    but I  believe in education first and then the luck

18. David Legg 7 profile image68
    David Legg 7posted 12 years ago

While it is good to have both education and luck, I think that hard work with a cheerful attitude, and the integrity to do the job well are the most important. If you look at people who are educated as compared to people you are not. educated people are more likely to succeed at life, but you still see a huge distribution from abject failure to gleaming success. People who are lucky (like lottery winners, for example) might appear more successful for a while, but are not necessarily able to capitalize on their luck. I know someone who did, but we probably all know people who got lucky and then blew it.
    But if you take someone who works hard with a cheerful attitude and has the integrity to do the job well, it is likely that such a person can overcome adversity, because they continue to create their own opportunity, and define their own success.
    David

19. profile image0
    Dr Rabieposted 12 years ago

I think that we need both of them at the same time. Lets imagine that you want to go to far place and you can't find a transportation. If someone offers you his car (luck) but you don't know how to drive (Education), you won't be able to succeed in achieving your target. The same will be if you know how to drive while no one offers you his car!

20. profile image47
    pmpaustraliaposted 12 years ago

Lol I thought there would be a question like this. Let me put it this way Luck favors the brave and hardworking. education helps you get these traits.
    Source: http://www.amacademyonline.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)