jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If it's true that trees grow moss on their northern side in the Northern Hemisph

1. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

If it's true that trees grow moss on their northern side in the Northern Hemisphere, and on...

their south sides in the Southern Hemisphere, what's the situation right on the Equator?

2. ReadWriter profile image59
    ReadWriterposted 7 years ago

There are no trees , it's all desert! smile

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

yes,since I live in the Northern hemisphere I can tell you that all the trees grow moss on the north side of their trunks...probably due to southern exposure to the sunlight on their south side...

4. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4324961_f260.jpg

I went outside. I live in the northern hemisphere in an area that receives upwards of 70 inches of rain a year. Moss grows around the circumference of all variety of trees indigenous to the region. Moss thrives in damp, low light conditions in either the cold of the northern hemisphere or the tropical forests at the equator. Direct sunlight will inhibit the growth of moss, hence whichever side tree gets direct sunlight moss will not grow, or moss will grow sparsely.My hunch is that in equatorial rain forests moss will ring trees.

working