jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Did you know that in April (northern hemisphere) your body's supply of Vitamin D

1. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 23 months ago

Did you know that in April (northern hemisphere) your body's supply of Vitamin D is at its lowest?

You have survived a winter when the sunshine is least and at a low angle.  You were typically covered by head-to-toe clothing.  As a result you used more Vitamin D than you stored.  Hopefully you supplemented with Vitamin D3 to meet  your body's diverse needs for Vitamin D.  By April your body's store (level) of Vitamin D is at its lowest, even if your skin is young enough to still synthesize its own Vitamin D from its exposure to sunlight.

2. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 23 months ago

What an interesting concept. I live in a coastal desert. We hide from the sun during the summer and revel in it during the winter. I would say that for us this is the high point of D. I never thought about it. But my doctor has and prescribes D3 whether I like it or not. Actually I understand that we call it Vitamin D but it is really something else like a hormone.
    Excuse me while I go play soccer in the sun sans shirt.

3. Annsalo profile image84
    Annsaloposted 23 months ago

I did not know that. I knew it went down in the winter, but didn't think about how over the course of Winter it likely hits a low point.
    Even in the summer months I fight to keep good D levels. I guess that makes sense.
    I take vitamin D but even the recommended amount isn't enough sometimes so the doc prescribes me a really strong Vitamin D.
    Thankfully here in the south the sun is shining beautifully today. So I will be gardening and absorbing some of it!

4. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 23 months ago

Makes sense. Even here in the South we stay holed up most of the winter. Both my husband and I have been prescribed strong D supplements before. However, it is so hot in the summertime that we don't get out much then, either. He can't take the heat because of his heart problems. I've had at least seven precancerous lesions removed because of my younger sun-worshiping days, so I my time in the sun is very limited. So what's a body to do?