jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What is the scariest thing about anesthesia?

1. TahoeDoc profile image95
    TahoeDocposted 7 years ago

What is the scariest thing about anesthesia?

I'd like to write more about anesthesia and I"m wondering what people would like to know or what scares you the most?

2. swedal profile image71
    swedalposted 7 years ago

I have had several surgeries and going under one always wonders if you will wake up.

After waking up it is the nausea that comes as a side effect to the anesthesia that you really do not look forward to.

3. profile image0
    dankendkposted 7 years ago

Not waking up after a major surgery because of overdosage to anaesthesia is really scary... but... waking up in the middle of a surgery is worse...  big_smile

4. n.pady profile image56
    n.padyposted 7 years ago

thinking about the very fact about anesthesia and falling into deep sleep and someone cutting you open.
    also, the catheder is painful

5. windndown profile image57
    windndownposted 7 years ago

Waking up during surgery and no one knowing it since you are not able to move or talk, I have seen shows where this was suppose to have happened, I guess its possible? The pain of surgery with out being able to tell someone your no longer under is pretty darn scary!

6. saanj H profile image75
    saanj Hposted 7 years ago

Hi

I think that the experience of not knowing that you are being cut, bleed, the horrifying thing is when the doctor places the scalpel on the body parts and cuts it wide open.

7. TahoeDoc profile image95
    TahoeDocposted 6 years ago

It seems that people are most afraid of "intra-operative awareness", or waking up during the surgery when they should be unconscious. I wrote a hub about intraoperative awareness that should answer a lot of questions.

I hope it's not against the rules to post the link here for info.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Anesthesia-Awareness

If it is, I'll remove it, but I really just want to help people understand this phenomenon.

8. profile image50
    RAtruckerposted 5 years ago

I have a question about waking up:  I've been under several times including just recently for an easy outpatient surgery.  Each time as I'm being woken up I try repeatedly to sit up.  Sometimes I try to pull tubes out.  It doesn't seem to make a difference how deeply I was under, I even do it after (and sometimes during) concious sedation.  When I had abdominal surgery it made for a really rough awakening and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and panicked.  This last surgery was not so major and I did let the anesthesiologist know beforehand that I did this.  But as I came out of it I still remember fighting against staff trying yet again to sit up.  As I became more lucid I remember asking staff "was I trying to sit up?", I was told "you sure were".  So I'm wondering is there anything I can do to help prevent this situation?  I was hardly nervous the last time and was given pre op meds so it seems weird that I just always do this.    Thanks!

1. TahoeDoc profile image95
      TahoeDocposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is a pretty common, mild manifestation of the fight or flight response. Until you are re-oriented, your brain does what it thinks it needs to do to make sure you are safe. http://tahoedoc.hubpages.com/hub/Common … de-Effects

working