jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do people have dreams when they are under general anesthesia?

1. Laura Schneider profile image90
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Do people have dreams when they are under general anesthesia?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

Great question! I've been under general many times and have never had a dream that I remember. I'm looking forward to seeing the answers you get from this question. This would make a great hub topic.

3. AMAZING THINKER profile image59
    AMAZING THINKERposted 4 years ago

I read a novel once named "Entangled" by Graham Hancock, In that story some people having near death experience have dreams about going into a different world, with weird trees and a blue lady. And sometimes they get out of their bodies and can see themselves from outside, it's called NDE, google it. I think anesthesia must have similar effects on some people.

4. mbwalz profile image89
    mbwalzposted 4 years ago

I think I did when I was a kid, but they probably were very lite on the amount they gave me. The few other times, I only remember the span of time being like a moment long - no matter how long they put me out. So if I dreamed, I have no recollection.

5. CraftytotheCore profile image83
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Interesting question!  I've had 2 surgeries in the past couple of years.  Thyroid surgery was the longest at a few hours.  I woke up and asked for a drink of water.  I couldn't remember anything that had happened after getting to the hospital, even though I had a two hour waiting time before surgery.  (I couldn't remember any of it.)

Then I had gallbladder surgery a few months ago. It was a shorter procedure.  I could remember being wheeled in to the operating room and a mask being placed on my face.  When I woke up, I didn't recall anything at all.  My mind was completely blank.

I also had anesthesia for a outpatient procedure and it was only a 20 minute ordeal.  When I woke up I couldn't remember anything after the nurse taking my vital signs before the procedure.

The only thing I can recall from anesthesia is waking up and not remembering a thing! LOL

6. peeples profile image90
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

I've only been under once and I have no recollection of dreams. Just blankness.

7. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 4 years ago

I have had dreams under anesthesia. Some I remember and some I don't.

8. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 4 years ago

Three months ago - I was under general anesthesia -  and I do not remember any dreams.  I was totally out of it.  I was given 'piggy-back' (3 needle shots) into an arm IV and within 10-15 mins. - I was out cold and did not dream - if I did - I have  no recollection of them.

9. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I think if they are put deep enough, not they do not dream. Lighter anesthesia I believe allows dreaming.

10. BuffaloGal1960 profile image73
    BuffaloGal1960posted 4 years ago

I cannot remember ever dreaming during surgery or after "going under" but some funny stories on myself and my mother talking. We had no recollection of it but we had witnesses of course that told on us! 

She said my first surgery (foot) in 4th grade, I told the surgeon how hungry and sleepy I was.  I've had many surgeries but can't remember a time of dreaming.

Very interesting question.  Of course, near death experiences I have heard of. Would you call that a dream?  I tend to think the soul possibly traveled at that time. I dunno?

working