jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to learn another language?

1. bueler profile image59
    buelerposted 7 years ago

What is the best way to learn another language?

2. lindacee profile image97
    lindaceeposted 7 years ago

In my personal experience (I currently live in a foreign country), total immersion is the best way to learn a foreign language--whether you live with a host family, or simply immerse yourself in the local culture.

Many schools use immersion techniques as well. That works if you devote your time and considerable expense to attending several months of full day classes.

Online learning is fine for the basics, but fluency can only be achieved by constantly hearing and speaking the new language.

Just my opinion.

3. profile image0
    pravo13posted 7 years ago

Living in an immersion setting, like lindacee said.  If that's not possible, an immersion course is your next best option.  Many universities offer them.  I am actually doing one this summer at Middlebury College in Vermont.

If neither of those is possible, feel free to read a couple of my hubs on the matter. smile

4. PaulStaley1 profile image74
    PaulStaley1posted 6 years ago

Find a significant other that speaks that language and get in lots of fights! You will learn quickly!

5. kevin.baker profile image60
    kevin.bakerposted 6 years ago

Best: Fly to a foreign country and get 100% immersed. Don't spend time with your friends from your own country because you will constantly revert back to your native language.

2nd best: As PaulStaley1 said, find a significant other that speaks your target language natively.

3rd best: Create your own immersion where you are. Few people can do this successfully, but try to say everything first in the target language, then if you need, say it in your native language. Constantly watch movies and films in your target language. Read, read, and read books in the target language. Be careful with this, since extensive reading is not effective unless you can find materials that are at your current level in the target language. Take online courses and find online communities that encourage free talk in your target language with native speakers.

4th Best: If you are rich, take classes... Also if you are rich, could you... never mind.