Is nature or nurture dominate? Why?

1. profile image58
    realities.flyposted 7 years ago

Is nature or nurture dominate? Why?

2. Chatkath profile image77
    Chatkathposted 7 years ago

Very interesting question and one of my #1 missions in life, it seems... I don't think that there is a definitive formula, rather a combinition of both plus other variables that make us who we are. Everytime I think I have it figured out, someone comes along to prove me wrong, so it is indeed a very interesting and controversial topic that I don't think will ever be solved!
    We are born with a certain set of characteristics, then depending on our environment, such as parents, their relationship, siblings, birth order, peers, experiences in school, growing up and eventually life, determines your successes and failures and more importantly, how one reacts to certain events. In a sense, this actually brings up even more questions, such as why do some people, raised with very little emotional support, seem to have an internal drive to succeed, against all odds! And they do. Of course when they fall, we all blame it on their childhood, which may or may not be accurate. Then you have a child with every opportunity in the world, parents that care, the best education, friends, etc. that is prone to depression and a low tolerance for any sort of aggravation - one who is unable to handle life as we would expect. Conclusion-they must be spoiled? Perhaps, and the debate goes on!?
    Great topic.

3. marketingskeptic profile image71
    marketingskepticposted 7 years ago

I would have to say neither.

The whole nature/nurture debate is outdated relic of behavioral psychology. There are no organisms out there that are influenced solely by one and not the other.

Roughly stated,
    Nature = genes
    Nurture = environment

Gene expression provides a range of phenotypes within which an organism can expressed based on input from the environment. For example, if a baby has the gene combination that codes for a range of tallness...he/she won't be tall in the future if he/she isn't receiving enough nutrients from the environment. On the flip side, even if a baby is given a ton of nutrients, but doesn't have the genes for tallness then he/she'll only grow as high as the range he/she is genetically coded for.       

The whole nature/nurture debate was based on the idea that a single gene codes for a single trait. Research has shown that it is the combination of multiple gene expressions that code for a trait and thus traits have a RANGE not a simple on/off button. This is why neither nature and nurture dominate. They both play a role in shaping an individual.