jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you believe Nature or Nurture and why?

1. CastleQueen profile image60
    CastleQueenposted 5 years ago

Do you believe Nature or Nurture and why?

2. Dale Hyde profile image85
    Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago

I believe in the "Mother" aspect of all reality.. the feminine..... so it would be nurture, for sure!

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

First, I don't believe in much while realizing that seems odd. I have learned to acknowledge and accept. Belief to me means 'whatever' is concrete and does not change while for 'self' I have to witness the phenomena as not changing. That said, I adhere to a view of nurturing nature.

4. Trevor Davis profile image55
    Trevor Davisposted 5 years ago

I believe in both because an archetype of a persons personality takes in and responds to information in his or her own way but those responses are caused by the environment and surroundings presented to them and shapes them by learning mechanisms of positive and negative reinforcement of various situations.

5. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

If you mean the question with respect to a child, then you have to know your child and make the balance accordingly. You have to nurture something or someone according to their nature. A cactus will die if you water it too much, the fish would not thrive in the desert.

6. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
    Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 5 years ago

If I understood your question correctly, I would say both nature and nurture  influence personality. We are products of genetics and our upbringing . . . (environment) and one cannot escape either. However, human beings are complex and can adapt to different circumstances which again influence our behavior and personality. I would say nurture plays a greater role in one's life.

7. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

We are highly influenced by other humans whether we choose to admit it or not. In relation to raising a child I would definitely say nurture because children are led by example and they do the things that they are exposed to or taught.  Nature also influences us in various ways such as making snap decisions. This is a primitive behavior that allows us to determine quickly if someone is a threat or if we are safe. Even to this day, judgement or intuition can play a large role in managing your life and safety. I would say that both actually create the whole person.

8. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

I honestly don't believe in one over the other. In life both are present in different degrees and it depends what your personal experiences are with family, friends, environment and so on.  Firstly you are born with certain traits about how you cope and how you will perceive things = nature, but these can all be influenced, even changed by those around you and what you witness in your environment = nurture. So for me it's a bit of both.

9. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 5 years ago

Absolutely both.  We are born predisposed to a certain sensitivity to the world around us, but part of being human is being able to use our brains to adapt and learn from situations.  We are constantly weighing our current experience against our past experience.  With enough feedback, a challenging child can learn self-control.  Without any structure, an otherwise thoughtful child can lose self-control. 

This explains why siblings can be so different.  Genetically they are different, but they are raised in the same environment and responding differently to it.  But a child may behave differently at school, than at home, or at church or a friend's house.  Wherever they spend the most time, will have a huge impact in the behavior patterns they carry with them through life.

10. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 5 years ago

I believe  that either one can influence the other given the right or wrong set of circumstance.  For example I used to work as a counsellor in a prison.  Many of the men had grown up in foster care, been sexually or otherwise abused.  Yet, now I work with the more general population I encounter people to whom similar events have also happened yet they do not go on to abuse others or become criminals. 
    So, I believe that a naturally unkind person can become kind if kindness is shown to him or her and on the other hand a naturally kind person can become vicious and cruel if they are treated badly.

At the end of the day we all have choices and sometimes we make bad ones based on the circumstances.  However that is, I believe, different from someone who has a serious mental illness or is sociopathic.

11. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 5 years ago

It has never been made clear to me............why the two should be at odds.

In the end...........we will what "nature" requires..........but all of us, can be "nurtered" to be our most " natural" self.

Just do the right and fair thing...........

Do the best, and be the best, that you can.

Stop making simple things....hard.

Do we REALLY need a moderator?

working