jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best homeschool teaching method?

1. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

What is the best homeschool teaching method?

Have you ever heard of behavior-based precision or direct instruction, used to help kids gain a full grade in one semester or less? If so, what are your thoughts?

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I think it depends on the individual child -- for my sister and I, we could have easily finished a grade in a semester, but my mom didn't want us getting too far ahead of our peers so she kept giving us additional work to go more in-depth on the subjects, and also encouraged us to select topics we were interested in to build research and projects around. I think the most effective thing about this approach is that it really instilled a love of learning in us because we were allowed to spend a lot of time learning what we wanted to learn, rather than just what the government and the curriculum writers decided we should learn.

3. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

So, given your learning levels, with precision instruction you and your sister could have gone from grade 9 to grade 12 math, science reading, writing and spelling in 12-16 months. You would then have had the core academic skills to read and learn at college level for deeper learning.

4. DonnaCosmato profile image95
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

It really depends on your child's learning style (auditory, tactile and so forth) combined with your teaching style. The beauty of homeschooling is the freedom it gives you to take the valuable nuggets from programs - like Charlotte Mason - and adapted them to your child's unique needs and learning ability.