jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

Is removing science subjects from grade 1 and grade 2 a good move?

1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

Is removing science subjects from grade 1 and grade 2 a good move?

The Philppines' Department of Education recently proposed removing science in the lower grade levels.  They said that science will be included in the curriculum by grade 3.  What are the pros and cons of this proposed move?

2. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

No!  That's a horrible move.  Science education is vastly important at all levels.  Cutting it out, even just for early years, shows a lack of commitment to teaching the subject.

3. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

I have an academic background in science (analytical chemistry). I'm disappointed that most of my fellow Americans don't have the foggiest idea what science is. They think that science is a collection of glorified fairy tales that has been voted upon by committees of 'experts'. They don't understand that science is a method for gaining knowledge about the natural world. One elegant experiment can trump thousands of 'experts'. To quote the late Nobel Laureate (physics), Richard Feynman,

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."

That said, I don't think that First-graders or Second-graders are equipped to understand very much science, beyond interesting facts about animals.

I did an original kitchen chemistry experiment for my young niece and even younger nephew. It was fun for both of them, but my nephew did not have the foggiest idea about the bigger picture that I was trying to draw.

Yes, the general public definitely needs to know more about science. However I see no harm in delaying theoretical science--even at the most elementary level--until young minds have the readiness for it.

1. scottcgruber profile image79
      scottcgruberposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have to respectfully disagree with your main point. Children are natural scientists, from a very early age. The "terrible twos" are a period of hypothesis testing. Early science education should nurture this intrinsic need to test and explore.

4. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 6 years ago

I think students should be introduced to science and the scientific method the earlier the better.  I attended Catholic schools in the States from grade one to grade eight in the 1950s and I never had a science course.  I felt this really hurt me and put me at a disadvantage when I finally started my first science class, Biology, when I was in the 10th grade.  Although I was interested in science, I found out when I took science courses in college that science is a lot more than just memorizing facts.  I know I would have done better if I had had the science courses in grade school.  No, I don't think grades one and two is too early to introduce science to kids.

5. lorenmurcia profile image89
    lorenmurciaposted 6 years ago

No, the government is reinstating the teaching of Science to Grade 1 and Grade 2 pupils. In fact, the teachers are already teaching the subject to these young pupils now. The Department of Education is readying everything for the full implementation of the Science curriculum in the said levels. Plans, programs and projects are underway so that whatever weaknesses encountered in the past will be remedied today. I knew this because our primary teachers were asked to prepare reports about their teaching of Science 1 and 2.

6. remaniki profile image79
    remanikiposted 6 years ago

No, it is not a good move in my opinion. I think science as a subject should be introduced to the children at a very early age.

From personal experience I know that kids love to see pictures of animals and birds, fruits and vegetables and learn their names. They also enjoy doing little science experiments and learning a few things from the results.

It will be difficult for them to start learning science at a later stage. Why not teach them science the fun way instead of imposing it on them as a subject and pressurizing them to get high grades?

7. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I can't decide. Although our K-5 teachers are not yet well trained in sciences in my state, State regulations do mandate science in all grades, including Kindergarten. That's fine if they receive correct training.

8. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6148150_f260.jpg

For 1st & 2nd grades, don't have to understand very much science. Fascination of Einstein as a child with magnets had probably helped him. Check out the black liquid magnetic sculpture, there is a how-to at home to do this. Ferrofluid.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009- … s-work-you

9. TFScientist profile image91
    TFScientistposted 6 years ago

Speaking as a science teacher, I would say this is a hugely damaging move. Science is vital to success in this technological age. Removing it at early ages suggests that science is not important. This is the start of a slippery slope.

Young children are so curious about the world around them, science is the subject that answers their questions. If they go for years with these questions being ignored why should they suddenly engage with the questions just because we deem that 'the right time'

10. profile image0
    Dan Bristolposted 4 years ago

Removing science is fine. It leaves more room for nap time and gives us that much needed reverse momentum so we can revert to the Dark Ages and start burning witches because they're made of wood.

working