jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

To what extent does the depth and caliber of college define one's future livelih

1. gclitty profile image91
    gclittyposted 7 years ago

To what extent does the depth and caliber of college define one's future livelihood?

2. profile image54
    yaturi3posted 7 years ago

I believe it makes all the difference.
    Some colleges are very famous for the quality of their graduates.
    Some employers have grown to appreciate them as they fit very well into their requirements. These famous Universities evolve the structure of their curriculum to the changing needs of the work places and so make their students relevant to the needs of the relevant industries.
    So graduates from these colleges will find employment and rise up in their careers faster than those from other less focused and innovative ones.

3. marketingskeptic profile image70
    marketingskepticposted 7 years ago

I think college doesn't define your future livelihood at all!

I'm currently a college senior who attended a pretty good university (we're nationally ranked 35th in the US and 7th in my major), so trust me on this. Other than a diploma and the "recognition" that comes with attending a school with a super good reputation, you're getting jack for your degree. All the stuff they teach you in class, you can just as easily order books from Amazon and teach yourself without spending 100 grand for a 4 year tuition. 

I double majored in Neuroscience and Biology...and once I graduate I'll be working for a tax referral company as a Marketing Manager.

Don't feel limited by your major. If you want to try a new field that you have no experience in, just emphasize how the technical skills that you acquired will set you apart from other candidates and actually make you more qualified in the long run.

Good Luck!

4. ciaobella24 profile image60
    ciaobella24posted 7 years ago

I totally agree with marketingskeptic... but i think the environment of your college does matter a lot.  you have to keep in mind that the learning experience should be inspiring, especially if you will be spending four years of your life there.  you should choose a school that would be most conducive to your learning style. big, small, liberal, conservative, party, Christian, liberal arts, research, networking...all these things DO matter.  name--not as much, i think.  nonetheless there is an obvious quality difference between Harvard and BC... just some of my thoughts but I could be wrong.

p.s. i think scholarships and internships (work experience) are way more important than school prestige smile

5. Tiger Mom profile image60
    Tiger Momposted 6 years ago

A renowned college will always open the door for you; however, it's up to you to ace the entire interview process to obtain that job.  Nobody will turn away someone with a Tier One college on their resume.  The first hurdle is already won.  After that, it's your experience and skill that will ensure you get pass the second hurdle.