jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sou

1. ThatFatGuy profile image83
    ThatFatGuyposted 6 years ago

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I was thinking, how do you know that it was a tree that made the sound in the first place? Since nobody was around to hear it then that implies nobody was around to see the tree hit the ground. Saying a tree fell down, but I didn't see it fall or hear it either makes me no sense to me. However, if you were there to see it fall then you could make a educated judgment on if it made a sound since you are within hearing range. Is there something deeper about the question that i'm missing?

2. profile image49
    raxxsachposted 6 years ago

whenever we make judgements we make them depending on seeing,hearing, smelling ,feeling or touching.then we have a memory based on our past experiences so when you see a fallen down tree you start associating as there are no fallen tree thus it fell.whenever something falls on earth sound is created thus when the tree fell it made a sound even if there was no one there is a knowledge based on past impressions..

3. breathe2travel profile image79
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

When considering the patterns/laws of sound waves - if a tree falls, sound waves are created -- whether they are absorbed by physical objects such as other trees instead of being received in a human ear does not negate/nullify the laws of sound waves. smile

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

That reminds me of a joke:

If a man is speaking, standing alone in a forest, and no one is around to hear him--is he still wrong?

5. Noumanjaan profile image60
    Noumanjaanposted 3 years ago

Sound is produced by vibrating of an object not by the absorption of sound waves. So that if a tree falls in a forest then sound is produced even that their is nothing to hear or absorb sound.
    When the tree falls its branches and leaves hit each other and produce sound.

working