jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you believe in Extraterrestrial life?

1. ThatFatGuy profile image81
    ThatFatGuyposted 7 years ago

Do you believe in Extraterrestrial life?

Evidence to support it? What are they like if they do exist?

2. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image58
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 7 years ago

yes, i do indeed, we'd have to be crazy not to belive

3. No_Clue profile image67
    No_Clueposted 7 years ago

I think it arrogant to imagine we humans are "it" in this vast universe...and at the risk of being taken as a complete looney-tune, I have seen, with these two eyes, UFO's...that made a believer outta me. I was not the only one present who saw them...they defied the elements, were definitely not earthly as we perceive earthly. I was not tripping, I was not drunk...I was stone-cold sober!  No doubt in my mind. As for what they are like, I don't know, but their technology is far advanced to ours, of that I am certain.

4. tritrain profile image85
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

There is a pretty good chance that there is life on other planets.  However, it may be limited to plants, microbes, and "non-intelligent" creatures.

5. aka-dj profile image75
    aka-djposted 7 years ago

I don't believe in extraterrestrials, but I do strongly believe in extra-dimensionals.
    It's known as the Spirit realm, and is very real. So, any contact with "beings" not of this world don't come via space ships, wormholes, or black holes, nor even time, but from the Spirit world!

6. Greensleeves Hubs profile image97
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 7 years ago

I think in brief, one has to be clear whether we are talking about life, or intelligent life, and whether we are talking about the Solar System, the Galaxy or the Universe.

I suspect that microbial life is quite common, even possibly occuring elsewhere in our Solar System - something I discuss briefly in one of my hubs. This is because the basic chemical building blocks of life, and the other necessary requirements - such as water and heat, seem reasonably common, and - once given the chance - life did evolve quite quickly here on Earth.

Intelligent life is a bit different however. It probably exists somewhere else in the Universe, but I strongly suspect there is no other intelligent life in our Galaxy. No space in a short answer to explain why, but basically I suspect any intelligence which is even just a few million years in advance of us (nothing in terms of the age of the Galaxy) would by now have colonised the entire Galaxy, and would have visited us; (and I don't believe they have!) I hope to write a hub about it one day.

7. MPChris profile image78
    MPChrisposted 7 years ago

There are estimates placing our galaxy at having 100 billion stars. There is an estimate of 80 billion galaxies in the observable universe. No matter what simulation you would like to use, I'm willing to bet that there are quite a few civilizations out there that can before or will come after us. Quite a few of these will exist at the same time as us.

working