jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What second or third language do you want to learn?

1. jpcmc profile image90
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

What second or third language do you want to learn?

In the Philippines most people can speak Tagalog/Filipino and English.  At an early age, we are exposed to these languages.  Moreover, there was even a time when Spanish was part of the curriculum in college.  If you are given the chance what other languages do you want to learn?

2. profile image0
    Ruach Eishposted 6 years ago

Well in my case I already have second and third languages, but if I could choose whatever language I wanted to learn next it would be Irish Gaelic.  I also want to learn Koine Greek and Modern Hebrew.  That's for starters........  I'm currently doing Portuguese and Old English at beginner level and Biblical Hebrew and German at advanced level.

3. Akbok profile image94
    Akbokposted 6 years ago

I'd love to learn Korean as a third language.  I've heard from linguists that Hangul is a "perfect language", and getting involved in that and seeing if my professors were right or not is incentive enough.  Plus it'd be cool to understand movies like Old Boy without subtitles.

4. profile image0
    Buddhist Hotdogposted 6 years ago

I'd love to speak French or Italian - one of the really poetic languages

5. oldhorse profile image67
    oldhorseposted 6 years ago

I have found that I get cross-talk between foreign languages.  For example, I studied Russian in college, but I have been studying Chinese for the past several years, and now when I try to think of a Russian word, only Chinese ones come to mind.  So, I am reluctant to go for a third language.

I like Chinese, because it is very different than English.  I think by studying it I learn a lot about the nature of language, and get exposed to a different culture, that is very interesting.

Also, I'm getting old enough that I don't think I will have a chance to become completely fluent in third language.  So, I will keep my focus on Mandarin.

6. vox vocis profile image84
    vox vocisposted 6 years ago

Well, I'd like to learn French as my sixth language. I'm also interested in Czech, Chinese, Russian and Hebrew.

7. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

I am learning Portuguese. I moved to Brazil 2 years ago. I studied for about 6 months with CD's before arriving. The CD's are nothing like the Portuguese they speak where I am. Now I have my Brazilian friend helping me and I help her with her English.

working