jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What causes the sound you hear when you hold a seashell up to your ear?

1. Jangaplanet profile image79
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

What causes the sound you hear when you hold a seashell up to your ear?

2. livingsimply profile image59
    livingsimplyposted 6 years ago

I don't know the answer to this question, sadly.  But I love the question.  I do it all the time on the beach and I always tell myself that it is the sea whispering to me.  I'm not going to read the other answers to this question as it would be like telling me there is no Father Christmas!

3. FranYo profile image57
    FranYoposted 6 years ago

I have to believe that this sound is your blood and your spirit pulsing, swishing its way from your heart to your brain as you meditate on the beauty of the sea and its creatures.

Have you noticed how the sound is stronger when you close your eyes?

4. Hyphenbird profile image91
    Hyphenbirdposted 6 years ago

"When a seashell is free of its inhabitant, it is simply an empty chamber. Because of this, it is able to amplify and distort the sound of air traveling across its surface in a way filled vessels cannot. The sound that comes from the inside of a shell is the sound of air moving across and within the shell. The cavity of the seashell allows the noise to echo and resonate. The movement of air is constant, so the noise coming from the interior of the shell is a continuous whooshing, which is very similar to the sound of the ocean."