How do you kindly suggest psychiatric counseling to someone close to you?

1. Miss Info profile image81
    Miss Infoposted 6 years ago

How do you kindly suggest psychiatric counseling to someone close to you?

A suggestion as this has the potential to end relationship. Therefore, how does one go about asking this question without insulting or hurting that person who is close to you?

2. Lissa2677 profile image53
    Lissa2677posted 6 years ago

This is a touchy one because telling someone they need help does not work. While I am not a psychiatrist, I see one and it took me reconizing I needed someone neutral to talk with about my problems that were affecting my everyday operations. I am not cured but Rome was not built in a day. Therapy is a process and simply getting someone to reconize they might have to ask for help. By the time I realized it I had ruined the relationship with the love of my life and a best friend. I said things that couldn't be taken back and now asking for help seems so small compared to what I lost. Be delicate because if they are showing sides on the outside then more than likely they are falling apart on the inside and maybe a slight suggestion or sending an anonymous letter with a business card, i you fear they will see it as an invasion of privacy. Remember they have to want to get help. You can only lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Best wishes!!!

working