This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should Self Defense Classes be electives in schools?

1. SueShepard profile image57
    SueShepardposted 7 years ago

Should Self Defense Classes be electives in schools?

With the world becoming more and more violent, do you think it is a good idea for parents to have the option to sign their kids up for a self defense class if the school provided such a course? What negatives and positives do you see with a program like this?

2. NathanielZhu profile image72
    NathanielZhuposted 7 years ago

Yeah! That would be sooo coool.
    The problem is - students will want to practice on each other.
    I do it all the time with my friends.
    After school, we would go behind the school and practice.

3. andersonblack profile image57
    andersonblackposted 7 years ago

I think it is a good idea, so yes.

I was an active in Martial Arts for almost twenty years and I have seen the various reactions and confrontations along the way. In my opinion, in spite of all the challenges along the way, I think a program such as this is a good idea.

The world, sadly, can be a dangerous place, better to be prepared.

As I have told my students.... it is SELF (for you solely) DEFENSE (is reactive and NOT proactive, it is for defense and not attack)

4. n.pady profile image55
    n.padyposted 6 years ago

good morning Sue,
    i think it would be a good idea for kids to be enrolled in self-defense classes. if it is offered in the school premises, its the best place to learn.
    positives what i can see are very simple - children learn to identify  the possible threats(bullying etc) which one can come across, not only in a school, but also outside.

working