Is Jodi Arias guilty of murdering Travis Alexander or is was it self-defense?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (33 posts)
  1. eHealer profile image66
    eHealerposted 11 years ago

Is Jodi Arias guilty of murdering Travis Alexander or is was it self-defense?

Jodi Arias admitted to brutally murdering her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, but was it in self defense? Is she a true psychopath?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7594669_f260.jpg

2. Efficient Admin profile image84
    Efficient Adminposted 11 years ago

After briefly looking into this story I would say Yes she brutally murdered him and not in self defense.  She was already in jail once and she has a psycho look about her, plus look at this photo with her hands around his neck like she wants to strangle him. I don't want to sound quick to judge but on the surface I think she is guilty until proven innocent.

eHealerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Efficient, I agree with you. She is innocent to proven guilty, but it's very difficult to see how this is a self defense case. Thanks for answering my question!

3. nanderson500 profile image79
    nanderson500posted 11 years ago

It seems far too brutal to be self defense and she keeps changing her story. I don't think she has a chance of convincing a jury.

Hey Nanderson! I am with you, but look how Anthony walked away. I imagine she's hoping for the same outcome.

4. windygreen profile image60
    windygreenposted 11 years ago

If you research the story, you will find that Travis Alexander was showering just before he was killed, that Jodi Arias took pictures before and (supposedly accidentally) just after the murder, and that she also tried to destroy the camera which was found in the washing machine along with other evidence of the crime.   
    Arias had also been accused and reported to have slashed Alexander's tires and been threatening him since their breakup.  Considering all this, it would seem more likely that this was not self-defence.  I am no lawyer, but judging by the brutality of this killing and other evidence, if I were her lawyer - I'd try for an insanity plea.

I believe she (in  her mind) had to kill him. She couldn't sleep, eat, or go on with her life knowing that he had rejected her. After the murder, she was calmer, filled with joy (as told by her new boyfriend) and she engaged in a new relationship

2. windygreen profile image60
      windygreenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. I believe she felt that she had to kill him. However, I believe this is evidence of a mental illness not self-defence.I think she has a good case for insanity.Wouldn't get her off but just might save her life.

5. Alberic O profile image57
    Alberic Oposted 11 years ago

If she admitted to murder, there is very little chance she can claim self defense.

In legal terms homicide and murder are not the same terms. If her lawyer doesn't know that, she's screwed.

Murder is always illegal as stated by law.

Homicide can be illegal (ie murder), accidental, negligent (you may suffer some jail time and/or be sued) or in self defense (if you can prove it, you're not going to jail- this may or may not protect you from civil lawsuits). For example, a woman kills the rapist and the police takes the report and investigates. The death of the rapist is classified as a homicide for statistics BUT the woman is not charged with murder.

Battered Woman's Syndrome doesn't cut it for self defense. It only covers imminent, and deadly threats where in this case (let's pretend in was self defense), the use of deadly force was the only option to save her life.

Other than that, I don't know enough about her case to make an opinion.

6. profile image0
    TamaraDowlingposted 11 years ago

only have seen the prosecutor's case so far....but based on that...it seems she's guilty! 

kind of scary the questions the jury members are asking!  so, you never know the decision they will make.

1. windygreen profile image60
      windygreenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is soo true!  And it only takes ONE to get a hung jury!

7. melfina profile image78
    melfinaposted 11 years ago

I think she is guilty.  If it was truly self-defense due to domestic abuse, then why lie about it and keep changing your story?  That coupled with the information about this other guy she was talking to seems to point to her guilt.  I think in this case there is enough evidence to put her away.

8. twig22bend profile image71
    twig22bendposted 11 years ago

The case of Jodi Arias has a lot of questions to be answered. The autopsy will be able to determine how may wounds were made before and after the struggle if any, and from what angle the wounds were made.

Male verses female combat raises issues with me. It is very unlikely that a female can over power a male in most cases if he sees her coming, unless there is a first fatal wound. If so why were there so many viscous wounds rendered.

A psychopath's behavior could render a person unresponsive at first, causing the victim not to protect one's self due to shock.

Only time will bring out the truth of the matter.

9. LizSims profile image60
    LizSimsposted 11 years ago

I have been following this case and she is absolutely guilty. She seduced Anthony over and over again and he must have been so conflicted about it because of his religious beliefs. However, if a woman keeps showing up and dropping her panties, it can be hard for any man, especially unmarried, to deny. The typical woman Anthony dated would not engage in premarital sex much less crazy premarital sex. I think Anthony tried to get her to go away but she kept coming back... naked. What's a guy to do?
       She couldn't take it anymore when he chose to take a nice girl on a cruise he won through work. The "nice girl" and he had already discussed the friendship- only aspect of their trip together and Jodi couldn't believe he would prefer a woman who didn't need to seduce him.
       She then planned the attack, stole the gun from her grandparents, rented a specifically-requested non-descript car almost 100 miles from her hometown and dyed her hair. After seducing him and documenting the deed with gynecological photos as well as naked photos of him, he took a shower. Jodi photographed him in the shower and killed him about 30 seconds later, as documented by photographs found on the camera of him in the shower and then bloody on the floor of his bathroom. Where did she get the knife? Why did she stab him 27 times, slash his throat and then shoot him in the face?
       She then made some effort to clean up the scene and took the time to delete the photos and then put the camera through the wash along with some of his clothes. Too bad detectives found her bloody palm print, her blood mixed with his blood, her hair mixed in the blood and the memory card on the camera which contained the naked and the bloody photos.
       His friends and family immediately fingered Jodi as the killer. They said she had stalked him, climbed through his doggie door, slashed his tires, etc.
       Defense starts tomorrow. Should be interesting.
       I did take this as a learning opportunity to talk to my sons about how they should never take advantage of a girl. Also, we talked about girls who are willing to give their bodies without commitment might be unstable or have low self-esteem.
       This guy deserved to get booted out of his leadership position in the church and needed some counseling on respecting women. He did not deserved to be murdered in cold blood.

1. Efficient Admin profile image84
      Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She sounds like a poster child for the type of woman all men should avoid like the plague.  She sounds like a total psycho / demon possessed.

2. LizSims profile image60
      LizSimsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is fascinating to watch her on the stand telling one lie after another. The reason she didn't have problems with former boyfriends is because she controlled them with sex and gave them no reason to seek elsewhere. None wanted to marry her.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The male victim's name is "Travis Alexander," as far as I can see.  Who is Anthony?

10. Don Fairchild profile image70
    Don Fairchildposted 11 years ago

Lots and lots of evidence so far that she is guilty, including numerous stories by her as to what happened that day.  Also, her defense council has tried a number of times to blame it on others including Travis with no real meaningful results.
    It doesn't look good for her at all. 
    What really scares me is her "Silence of the Lambs" like demeanor demonstrated by Anthony Hopkins, that she seems to have in her character.  Her statement about no jury would convict her in a strangely calm voice is chilling.

11. profile image51
    Lovepugsposted 11 years ago

Jodi is guilty. She looks so fake testifying. I hope the jury isn't buying into this. And for her to be claiming she was an abused woman is sad. She would have been better off saying it was a passion killing.

12. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

eHealer.....I have followed this story/case, closely....all along.  This young woman is seriously dangerous.  A borderline personality disorder is strikingly evident.  Not only the info  that has been printed and televised, but research I have done, all points to blatant and clear, pre-meditated, cold-blooded murder.  Overkill.
    What comes of her trial, remains to be seen.  We dare not "assume" that the jury will "see" the hard core facts and bold evidence.  After OJ, Robert Blake and Casey Anthony......all bets are off.   We can only hope that justice prevails in this case.
    May that poor, innocent, unsuspecting young man, rest in peace....and his loved ones be comforted.   Jodi, is beyond all doubt, a bad bad girl and guilty as hell.

13. profile image0
    Author Karin K.Hposted 11 years ago

ok is it just me or does the fact that they are sitting in the waterfall more than likely on holidays and she has her hands around his neck? granted we have all done it but we didn't go and actually do it.

14. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

She appears to be narcissistic. She changed her stories so many times that it is quite apparent that she thinks she is smarter than the experienced and trained legal professionals that have her life in their hands let alone the family and friends that had bad gut feelings about her. She is guilty of murdering Travis Alexander...and for what? She is an absolutely horrible person. As EfficientAdmin pointed out, look at that picture. There is nothing loving or natural about putting your hands on your man's neck like that! If she loved him or at least cared for him, she would have been touching him in a loving manner or hugging him.

1. Don Fairchild profile image70
      Don Fairchildposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She isn't even smarter than the average person let alone legal trained professionals.  How smart could anyone be when she changed her story numerous times, sometimes it felt like dealing with a three year old child.

15. bethperry profile image84
    bethperryposted 11 years ago

As I see it, Arias displays several traits indicative of some variety of personality disorder - narcissism, superficiality, lack of empathy, lack of control over emotions, irresponsibility and Machiavellianism. But her behavior also indicates she is content with the condition and feels no inclination to modify her behavior. It has served her well so far, making her a darling of women's rights groups and gaining her fans among those drawn to her physical beauty.

But we must remember victim Travis Alexander died suffering. He was shot, he was stabbed 29 times and his throat was slit from ear to ear. This was not an act of self-defense, this was the atrocious act of a wrathful individual. Arias's proclivity for lying was demonstrated by changing her story three times and the fact that her "details" about her "abuse" were vivid while explanations for her fabrications to police were evasive. And we have to remember this is a woman, so "stricken" by that fatal event that she managed to smirk for her mugshot, sing for jailhouse videos, keep her hair dyed and stylish and give interviews.

With this said, I truly feel that while Arias attempted to elude responsibility for her crime she now revels in the attention it has brought her. If convicted I imagine she will continue to act the part of a martyr without ever feeling true remorse for the death of Travis Alexander.

16. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

she will gain fans in prison for sure. I just can't believe that these animals who go to prison still live decently on our dollar. Prisoners watching the super bowl, gyms, computers, doing unpaid work as a craft to get out. it just isn't fair. In my pinion, these murderers suffer very little for their violent and barbaric acts. Unless you're a guy at a CCA prison or Pelican bay.

17. ladydeonne profile image67
    ladydeonneposted 11 years ago

I believe that Jodi has multiple mental health issues.  Based on the information I have heard and  read, this may be a premeditated murder.  Was Jodie used in a sexual way by Travis?  Was she physically and mentally abused by Travis?  Did she shoot and stab Travis multiple timea in a rage because he emotionally abused her once again after she  dropped  his camera?  Even if the answers to those questions  is YES, Travis did not deserve to  die as he did. The kinky sex from ali indications was consensual.  I believe that he mat have provoked her in some way for her to kill  him.  She  had other options. If I was a juror i woud cast a guity verdict for pre-meditated murder.

18. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

She will probably be found guilty. But there are a couple unanswered questions about the case.
         The prosecutor laid out this extremely detailed plot that she had from paying cash for gas as to not show her location, to her figuring out the exact amount of gas she needed to take the routes she took. His whole presentation pointed to a very detail oriented person. So, when the actual killing took place, why would it be so unplanned and sloppy? Doesn't add up.
         Also, wouldn't it have made more sense to shoot him first to debilitate him rather than chance being overtaken by a very capable man? That would also have made it look like a possible robbery or break-in.
         As far as her lying. There is no doubt she is an unstable person. I can't imagine what my mind would do if I were sitting in front of police, being accused of a crime that could have me put to death. I don't think anyone could imagine such a terrifying place to be. Her disposition to lie would kick in on all 8 cylinders.
         I wish the defense would have brought up these questions. Maybe they did and I just missed it. But I think it would have been discussed with such extensive T.V. coverage.
         As a spectator, do I think she is guilty? Yes. If I were on the jury, I would have to explore a lesser charge until these questions were answered. That's reasonable doubt on the murder 1.

19. Angela Kane profile image60
    Angela Kaneposted 11 years ago

I think she is very very guilty and a psychopath. She has made this trial into a spectacle and is just getting unwarranted attention. I hope she is found guilty and does not ever leave a prison.

20. Jennifer Bart profile image61
    Jennifer Bartposted 11 years ago

My opinion is guilty. You don't shoot someone and then stab them 28 times in self defense. When you kill out of self defense you shoot once and get out of there you don't stab someone 28 times!

21. carlajbehr profile image85
    carlajbehrposted 11 years ago

We have in place in the US a judicial system for a purpose, but.... whenever I watch this woman, all I can think of is Casey Anthony.  She appears to enjoy, almost crave the attention that she gets  - it is of great concern to me that we spend so much time is spent following these cases on talk TV.  I have been guilty at times, too.   I'm afraid these women are getting exactly what they want - attention.  This is just my 2 cents.

22. Borsia profile image38
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

Given the overkill I find self defense pretty much impossible to believe.
    He was stabbed, shot and had his throat slit. Self defense usually stops when there is no more threat, but I wasn't on the jury so I won't second guess them.

23. prettynutjob30 profile image85
    prettynutjob30posted 10 years ago

The crime was way to violent to be self defense, I believe this woman is a very dangerous person, she plays the victim a whole lot but Travis was the real victim. She owes his family so much more than what she is handing out in that courtroom with her poor me speeches.

24. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

As you stated: "Jodi Arias (admitted) to brutally murdering her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander."
    I don't know how anyone could say it was self defense when the man was naked taking a shower with water in his eyes. Not only is she a cold blooded killer but she changed her story multple times! At first she (denied) doing it and then she blamed her childhood...etc
    If a man had done this to a woman there would be no hesitation to give him the death penalty. People breakup or get divorced every day. Only the twisted people choose to kill rather than move on.
    Whenever someone attempts a "cover up" it's difficult to say they were insane. A cover up means one undertands right from wrong. Last but not least anyone who "claims" they were abused in a relationship and they weren't does a disservice to people who really were.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)