Have you ever tried to teach your kids a second language? How did you do it?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 12 years ago

Have you ever tried to teach your kids a second language?  How did you do it?

We have adopted two Chinese daughters and are going to China next year with all 5 of our kids and we want them to learn some Mandarin.  My husband and I have been learning ourselves over the past year but are having a hard time finding good ways to teach our children.  Ideas?

2. Man from Modesto profile image78
    Man from Modestoposted 12 years ago

I researched this very carefully a few years ago. The clear conclusion is this: First completely immerse the children in one language, then completely switch to the second language.

3. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 12 years ago

My best suggestion is to enroll them into a Chinese language school once you get to China.  In the 1970s my son was born in Taiwan and spent the first six years of his life there.  He grew up there speaking the Taiwanese language because my wife was Taiwanese and we lived in a Taiwanese neighborhood.  We then moved to the States and I enrolled him into a public school there.  Although he could speak next to no English when we got to the States, within one year he was speaking just like a native.  The speaking environment and use of the language to satisfy needs goes a long way in developing proficiency.  If you put all of your kids into Chinese schools and live in a Chinese speaking neighborhood, your kids should be learning and speaking fluent Mandarin in a short time.

4. chanroth profile image50
    chanrothposted 12 years ago

hmmm...I'm Cambodia half Chinese and I never learn how to speak Chinese. I only know how to say thank you, counting 1-10 and that is all I know in Chinese. The best way to teach your children a second language is you have to make sure your child understand and have interest in their culture. For instant, I'm Cambodian and Chinese, when my grandfather was alive, he taught me by making sure I understand the chinese background as well as Cambodian. I have no interest about the Chinese culture, so lack of interest, I never learned it. I speak and write Khmer language fluently because I have more interest in Khmer culture. This was where my parent came from but ancestor originally from china. And I don't look chinese so I wouldn't care much. My husband want me to go to school and learn Chinese because he like china and I say okay because I like chinese food. So, what I'm saying is, make sure your children has interest in the chinese culture and this is what make them want to learn the language. I have lack of interest so I would have some difficulty learning it. Chinese language is very hard to learn but with practice it makes perfect. To me, I rather learn how to speak then read and write chinese. The letter is toooooooo difficult. especially the stroke.

5. seriousnuts profile image60
    seriousnutsposted 12 years ago

I agree with Paul Kuehn. Enrolling them in a Chinese school will help them learn Mandarin. We also have Chinese schools here in the Philippines. But due to my country's law, we were only allowed to have a few hours of Chinese lessons within a day. I had to say that learning Chinese since little is a good start to get familiarized with the characters but not enough to help you become fluent. You won't truly appreciate it if you haven't use the language for everyday use (since Filipino-Chinese of my generation like to speak Filipino). There are only a handful of Chinese born in the Philippines who are fluent in the language. When I went to a trip for China, that was when I was able to truly practice what I learned in school and appreciate its culture. Kids are fast learners. Putting them in a Chinese environment with Chinese-speaking people at an early age is an effective way to help them learn Mandarin.

6. vox vocis profile image80
    vox vocisposted 12 years ago

Play with them using the words in the target language. Ask them to repeat after you all the time. Teach them simple sentences while doing everyday activities. For example, when they ask for a glass of juice, give it to them once they ask the question in the target language. Find cartoons and songs in the target language and introduce them to your kids.

7. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 12 years ago

These are great ideas--and the funny thing is that we've been doing exactly these things over the last two months since I asked this question.  It has worked!  Now the kids are singing Mandarin songs and helping each other repeat phrases.  They've also discovered tons of Mandarin cartoons and videos on Youtube.

8. JacksonBookBox profile image61
    JacksonBookBoxposted 12 years ago

We can make them understand any of the foreign languages by audio-visual books, animated stories with same language subtitling (SLS) or subtitling the foreign languages too. Its easy for them to capture the words easily as they love cartoons smile

Here is an animated children story in Mandarin smile Enjoy watching smile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73M0sZjtckU

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/bookboxinc

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)