jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Have you ever tried to learn Sanskrit?

1. spirituality profile image58
    spiritualityposted 7 years ago

I have - I tried for 18 months. I passed the tests, but quit anyhow. It's seriously hard.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image73
    TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years ago

No, but I've been (trying) learning Hebrew, it's no walk in the park.

What have you been doing to learn?

1. spirituality profile image58
      spiritualityposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I took a university class.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image73
        TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it were just about any language other than Sanskrit, I would suggest immersing yourself in it. Unfortunately, there are a very limited number of places where they still speak it...

Hmm...Did you take an introductory level class? Have you considered continuing in the classes? You say you passed the test--perhaps you're well on your way?

I will say this, unless one has a natural knack for languages (and some do), learning a new one as an adult can take a long time and constant work. Is there a Sanskrit publication that you can translate an article from daily or weekly? Maybe give yourself some homework?

3. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 7 years ago

No, I haven't tried yet but am going to. I've heard of a great course (can't remember off hand) and will try that when I can. I'll find the URL if you want - it's not an online course I just found it on the net and it has immersion as part of it.

I do know how to pronounce it though, even if I cannot yet understand it smile

4. Greek One profile image77
    Greek Oneposted 7 years ago

I am illiterate in 14 different languages!

5. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 7 years ago

We had Sanskrit as a compulsory subject till High School - some schools still do. But no one was actually interested in studying it - we just crammed the "roops" for our annual evaluation tests. It is an interesting language though - with its penchant for joining a number of words to create a long, complicated word - quite similar to German!

Sanskrit has become somewhat like Latin - useful only if you want to read and understand scriptures, and spoken and understood only by the 'pundits'- literally!

It is spoken in just a couple of locations in India.

1. profile image69
      paarsurreyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

It is only Arabic which has been a living spoken language from the time immemorial, in my opinion.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

working