jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you feel that your college degree is worthless?

1. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Do you feel that your college degree is worthless?

If so, is it because of the institution which awarded it or an unmarketable major?

2. NathanielZhu profile image70
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

I'm just going into college.
    What do you guys think of a degree in Biotechnology or Bioengineering?

3. Storytellersrus profile image77
    Storytellersrusposted 6 years ago

Are you talking money? That seems to be the measure of value in the United States.  I have not become a financial success, but this is because of my value system more than my education.  I am not motivated by money.

What do you consider worthless?  In college, I became a life long learner.  I discovered how to question, to research, to look beyond appearances.  To me, you are asking us to blame college for problems that exist within.  Stories of successful people who did not attend college are rife.  Check out http://learnfinancialplanning.com/famou … o-college/

I believe the purpose of college is to expand your frame of reference.  The fact that you even ask this question substantiates my belief.  College degrees are not guarantees, they simply expand your options.

I have raised three intelligent, creative kids.  My husband and I have been married 25 years.  Both overwhelming tasks, but worth the energy.  In college I learned I was not perfect-- nor was I the most messed up.  I had to accept my limitations and do the best I could.  This principle was useful when it came to forming close relationships.

In college, I learned that I was not center of the Universe.  Today, I sit outside in the midst of adversity and am able to appreciate a beautiful sunrise.  When I laugh at my puppy's antics, I am laughing at my own inadequacies and vulnerabilities. 

I can be moved to tears by the relationships between Teacher and Student on The Voice, because I experienced generosity from my own professors.  I have a stack of novels beside my bed stand, waiting to be devoured; I developed love of other cultures and literature while in school.  I like sound arguments and dislike irrational politicians because in college, I learned to think.

I am grateful that I was able to attend college.  In fact, having gone through this exercise I am able to answer your question definitively, where I thought I could not...

No, I do not feel my college degree was worthless.  Thanks for asking.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

NathanielZhu, I have been told by people much smarter than me that you cannot go wrong with an engineering degree. Even a BS in any discipline in engineering virtually guarantees gainful employment and just compensation (if you like money). Of course, anything that starts with the prefix "Bio" is probably good too. I'm a Criminal Justice major myself so i wish I could give better advice.

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

I believe my degree is worth a great deal....but I also believe that degrees in general are overrated.  There are a really lot of people who are brilliant and never went to college.

6. maryanne56 profile image58
    maryanne56posted 6 years ago

No i do not feel that my college degree is worthless because it is worth full i am earning a lot by this and also it polished my skills and increased my knowledge

7. veronicaadams profile image61
    veronicaadamsposted 2 years ago

No I do not. I had a degree Art History with a minor Drama.