Why do people feel that a college degree is necessary for success?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rieceposted 13 years ago

The common wisdom is that you should go to college, get a good education, and find a job afterwards and you will be financially successful. Isn't that an outdated concept?

The average college grad is unemployed for two years after graduation, and when I went to teller training a month after I turned 18, six of the fifteen people in the group had graduated college recently.. for an 11.40 an hour job?

What do you think? Is a degree necessary for success?

1. munirahmadmughal profile image50
      munirahmadmughalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Why do people feel that a college degree is necessary for success?"
      This is the norm of the society.
      A confidence is reposed in the Colleges that whatever their degrees certify the holder possesses that knowledge and skill of the division and grade.
      It is a scientific and systematic way of assessing the capability and capacity.
      As for higher education, it is again natural that the employer wants the best of the lot. A person with mastr's degree or even doctoral degree is certaily better equipped in knowledge and we should not feel otherwise if he is selected for the job. He is earlier in line, more in knowledge, better in experience.
      Had this mode become outdated the colleges would have been closed long long ago. No knowledge without college is still a living truth.
      The way out is that a system of employment be so evolved that the demand and supply may have equilibrium. Our social scientists are required to do research on this point and bring forward some latest solution.
      When there is joint thinking the issues are solved earlier and prove easy and sustainable when actually implemented.

May God Almighty bless all and be merciful and Kind to all.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It s not necessary, but the statistics show it leads to a higher income on average.

1. YoungWolf profile image77
        YoungWolfposted 8 years agoin reply to this

that is true but when the debt/loans/ and interest rate come in. You actually lose your earnings

3. Adult Content profile image59
      Adult Contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.  It's not.  the reason it is NOT neccessarry is because life is not fair.
      Business owners who really should NOT have their own business tell their own kids to get an education while they do their best to NOT hire college graduates for a decent wage. 
      Still, think of it this way: if you are a college graduate you will ALWAYS be smarter and more intelligent than all the other people out there who are NOT college graduates. 
      Life might not always be fair in the job market but YOU as a college graduate will NEVER be stupid and uneducated!

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"think of it this way: if you are a college graduate you will ALWAYS be smarter and more intelligent than all the other people out there who are NOT college graduates.  "

LOL! Hardly.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your claim that there is a decent wage is a bit ignorant - not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that there is no such thing as a decent wage.

I hear repeatedly the people demanding "I'm not paid enough to do X or Y". And if that is true, then you must simply quit your job and not do X or Y for the wages given to you. But if you just demand such, and then just live with it - then obviously they ARE paying you enough.

A "decent wage" is much more accurately called a "wage" - the amount of money that you accept in exchange for your time and labor. If you can get a better deal elsewhere, then take it. If you can't, then deal with it. There is no "decent wage"

4. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Isn't that an outdated concept? "

NO

5. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Usually yes if you are talking enslaved labor. Usually no if you work for yourself. smile

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
        Dame Scribeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol good one Misha smile hope you been keeping well.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I am good Dame. Hope you, too smile

6. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

define success?   I know people who went to college and pump gas. I know people who went to college, and are alone but making tons of money. I know people who never finished high school and make just enough money to get by, but are wildly happy whith thier lives. depends on if "sucess" is lots of mone, or happy with your life as it is?

7. profile image0
      Contriceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the way we have been taught.  Growing up and going to school we are taught that to make alot of money you have to get a good job, and to get a good job you have to have a good education, and to have a good education you have to go to college.  That is the training of the world.  I too was a firm believer in the philosophy.  However, recently I begin reading the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad...and have learned that their are ways of making money that do not require you to go into dept (student loans) for a few bucks an hour.  The money is in passive income (like on the internet)  Adsense is a great program if you know how to work it (which I'm still learning).  So...No I don't think it a degree is necessary for success.  Then again it depends on what success is to you.  If making money is your measurement of success then no...if being educated and having proof of eduation (acquiring knowledge and degree) is your measurement of sucess then yes.

8. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some FACTS regarding the benefits of having a college degree:

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

9. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Finishing a college degree changed my life in terms of earning potential, jobs, and a sense of accomplishment that I had met my stated goals. It took me nearly twenty years to finish the program working full time jobs and attending classes at night, but I ended up with no student debt, having paid my way one class at a time.
      Is that for everyone? No, of course not. But it served to triple my income and allow me to take jobs that had been denied me in the past. Was I a different person? Not really. I had learned to persevere and to finish the course.
      Was that the end of my education? No. I finished hundreds of other work related classes to acquire skills and certifications that would allow me to advance.
      I started working when minimum wage was $1.36/hour. I retired with nearly a six figure income.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Well, college graduates have more chances than high school graduates. And college is about much more than just getting a job after graduation.

I would like most companies in the trades go back to having apprentices, then college would not be necessary for some.

Not only companies but also all business acitivites should engage the literate persons in doing their trade, commerce and industry. This is one side. On the other the new employees must feel content whatever they are paid by the employers within their capacity. Non engagement has many reasons, one such reason is demand of higher scalesof pay.
      A pool of the non-employees can also be a mode to distribute their services where demand rises. Public, NOGos, Philonthropists, State all have to play their respective role in a cooperative and coordinated manner with sense of love for our children who are newly entering the practical life.

May God Almighty bless all.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
        Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A person may be literate and never attended college.  A person may be illiterate and have attended college.  I once read a news article about a kindergarten teacher who got his Bachelor's in Education and could not pass a 5th-grade level literacy test.  Too bad, so sad.

There are fewer and fewer jobs requiring no particular skills or training.  There are fewer and fewer jobs outside an office environment.  I believe one indication employers look for is some higher education:  it means, to them, you have some basic computer skills along with the power to apply one's mind.  There is a bias in hiring people with no higher education than high school in an office environment, these days.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

It shouldn't be, but yes, I think it is - depending on what it is you want to be successful at. hmm

Schools, colleges and uninversities have been established and brought to present positions after a struggle of many centuries and they have their useful purpose. To join them and not to join them is the option of the students.Those are imparting knowledge and should continue their function. The students with degrees are the product to be utilized in the national interest by the institutions according to the demand and keeping in view their budgetry position. Internship, apprenticeship, helpers, social workers, joining jobs with meagre pays are the modes to reduce the number of the unemployed. When agriculture, industry and trade flourish the demand increases. Hence means to increase and develop these sources must be taped and applied. Small businesses, craftsmanships, small industries, cottage industries, etc. are all helpful means.
      Hard and fast days do come every where and must be passed with patience and not losing heart or becoming dejected. You are of great worth till the inhaling and exhaling is there.
      May God Almighty bless all and be Merciful to all.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

???   lol

I don't think it's necessary to go to college to be successful.  Depending on what you want to be successful at.

4. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

A Bachelors Degree is the new high school degree. If you want to work for a company of any decent size in a salaried position, they're going to require it. Heck, most of the top companies require their secretaries and admin assists to have a Masters Degree.

Quality always surpasses quantity. In the matter of education higher qualification is a quality, a merit, a plus number to convince the employer to have the best of the lot.
      It seems insteadof being dejected the person with higher qualification utilized his time in improving his qualification and it proved useful.
      Social scientists have to play their role by suggesting ways and means to tackle such problem. World has become a global village and even at global level ways are opening.

The need is of accurate and proper statistics of demand and supply of  manpower or human resource.

May God be kind to us and may His Mercy be on all of us.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000.  It was stated 40 years ago that a Bachelor's Degree would be equivalent to a high school diploma and a Master's Degree would be the new Bachelor's Degree.   A Bachelor's Degree means squat in this postmodern, 21st century; in order to be considered for a decent position, one must possess a Master's Degree.

5. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I agree that putting such emphasis on 'higher education' is a big deal to some businesses. It isnt smart to hire somebody with no genuine knowledge or skills. What gets me tho is that some 'educationally qualified' people are hired that have no life experience to match their skills therefore...lack people skills and respect towards others. tongue

To go higher is human nature. To seek higher is again human nature. Demand for highly qualified personnel is therefore natural. The only way is to regularize the mode of appointment. Then only those may apply who are of a particular standard. But there again the merit will be set by marks obtained in the examination. If I have less marks and another has more marks and he is selected I have no cause to complain.
      Await an dbe patient but remain in queu the turn shall come and might be a period when all past grievances are set right.
      May God bless and be Kind to all.

2. MEGT profile image61
      MEGTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Traditional education hasn't done a great job of teaching people skills, mainly because they have to be trained, not taught. And because professors often don't have them ... wink

6. Teresa McGurk profile image59
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

I was a college professor or an adjunct or grad student teaching college courses over a period of 24 years.

Each fall semester I would look at the incoming freshmen and ask them why they were there.  Few had answers.  It was expected of them.  You can't get a job if you don't have a college degree. 

I would ask each student what she/he would rather be doing, what they were good at doing, what they would really like to learn more about.  Only one or two would say that they were exactly where they wanted to be, doing what they loved doing.  They were the students. 

You're right.  It is no longer the ONLY strategy for success--but the whole truth is, it never was.  It used to be (and still is, in many countries) that if you wanted a job, you apprenticed to it in your teens or trained at a specific school, not a university.  My father apprenticed at a company that designed small machine tools, in the drawing office; a cousin apprenticed in Harland and Wolf shipyards (Belfast), and now is a designer at Rolls Royce; another cousin went to teacher-training college and is now a principal at an elementary school; another friend apprenticed with a jeweler and has had installations of his sculpture and jewelry designs at large galleries; in short, why go to university if you would rather be doing something else, something that would lead to a great career or profession or skill?   

Now. That scenario does leave out a significant portion of the incoming freshmen who have no sense of their own abilities and potential, and without the intellect to either succeed in college or anywhere else.  Some of these students are competent and bright, too, but have been stunted intellectually by the fraud perpetrated on them by the high school education they received.  But that's another matter.

The remarks of a reerened teacher full of knowledge and experience and examples from own relatives, are all true and hard facts. But yet the submission, with all the respect at my command,is that to be educated is still better than to be rich and remain uneducated. This whole system and organization owe them to these colleges and universities and their research centres. One engineering college is still spreading more knowledge and skill than a thousand individual skillful persons who are not educated.Istitutions are to be respected at all costs.
      May God bless all and be merciful to all.

7. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I just think any kind of formal training is better than none. Businesses look for educated people, people who have invested time and energy into a career. Whether it be business or blue collar these days, they all want a person to be trained already, so they don't have to train anybody. Experience is key in finding a job. So I think public school systems should provide or at least promote programs that promote training, apprenticeships, summer work programs, etc. Because not everybody can afford college or are not college material. I know most jobs I have gotten was because I had some college. As some applicants only had high scool diplomas.  So any formal training is better than none.

8. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

The only difference between a college grad and someone with just a high school education is both are unemployed but one has debt for a school loan

1. kmackey32 profile image63
      kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol good call tony....

9. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Ummm, well I dropped out of high school on my 16th birthday and I've never regretted it. I now work at home on the net and while not rich I make more than I ever did at any other job.

Seems like a waste of life to spend half your life just going to school. Life is about living, not spending half of it in school then the other half paying off school loans.

But if that's what you want to do then go for it, but it's the last thing I'd want to do. smile

10. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Rockefeller, Morgan and COUNTLESS other millionaires never had a college degree.

Heck, Dave Thomas (founder of wendy's) didn't even graduate from high school.

In capitalist societies, education isn't the only way to get ahead - being able to give people what they want is how you get ahead.

11. wildorangeflower profile image61
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

measuring success and goals are individual in nature so there's no really saying having a degree is a measure of success to all. There are professions which required a degree like scientist etc.

12. TMMason profile image59
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

No you do not need a college education to make it and do well in life.

13. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Getting a degree is just jumping through another hoop.  It used to open doors for the upper end of graduates but now, what with the recession and all, more is needed than that vital piece of paper.  However, a degree does show that you can stick at something, have attained a particular level of academic learning and have focus.  You will also have debt.  Even 1st class honours degree graduates find it difficult to get a good job these days.  And as some of the hubbers have already stated - what is success?  You can spend years climbing the greasy pole just to find that your actually happier digging ditches.  If it develops you as a person then it's worth while but as for the rest - there's no telling what will happen.

14. profile image51
    pmorrissposted 13 years ago

Professional success means different things to different people. For some, it’s defined by their paycheck while others measure it by the amount of happiness and satisfaction they get out of their work. That said, college is an important stepping stone to a career that’s both personally fulfilling and monetarily rewarding. Post secondary education has become the standard credential for most office jobs and enrolling for popular college degree programs is one way to stay competitive in the job market.

15. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

In my experience; no degree - get questioned 'why no degree?', spend 3-4 years getting a degree & they ask 'why no on-the-job experience?'.

Basically, starting out is tough whichever path you take.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)