jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think we could eliminate mosquitos? lol I really find them very irritatin

1. HattieMattieMae profile image59
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

Do you think we could eliminate mosquitos? lol I really find them very irritating! smile

2. kd4rvb profile image60
    kd4rvbposted 6 years ago

Living in Mosquito Lagoon here in Titusville, Florida, the best thing I've found that works well for getting rid of them is Cutter Bug Free Backyard 32 oz Ready-to-Spray Hose End Insect Repellent Concentrate HG-61067. We sprayed this over about half an acre and there were few if any mosquitos for several weeks. Sadly you'll never get rid of the little monsters forever but it helps.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

Bats really help bring down the mosquito population.  If you are not afraid of bats, you can always put a bat house in your yard.  I guess it just depends on what you hate more: bats or mosquitos.  My vote is mosquitos.

4. HattieMattieMae profile image59
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

ha ha lord I think I'll stick with the mosquitos, I don't like bats! They fly in your house and get caught! lol

5. profile image53
    Johnnykayokposted 6 years ago

Scientists probably could develop something to put a huge dent in their numbers, if not eliminate them altogether. But I don't think that they would ever want to. The effects on the ecosystem would probably be catostrophic. This is not my field of work, but I would imagine that mosquitos play their part in the food chain. I live in northern Alberta Canada, where the winters are long and cold and during the short summers, the
    mosquitos are on a rampage. Why would anybody want to move or live here? Only the hardy or unknowing, thereby keeping the local population growth down to a dull roar. If it was'nt for the huge oil reserves, there would'nt be a roar at all.
    Yea, whatever; that's just my way of thinking to remain sane. I live on a small acreage and love to work or putz around outside. They were so bad today; I decided to stay inside. Good grief. I know very little about mosquitoes, but I think the female mosquito uses the blood (from a bite) to feed? her eggs? This can't be right; how would she find her eggs? Anyhow some time ago I let my imagination take over. Eggs! That's the key to knocking their numbers down. I will build a synthetic bladder(s), something that the mosquito can penetrate; fill it (them) with cows blood (heat it if necessary); and set them beside the slough. Once I was confident that the skeeters were going to fall for this; I would pour a fourty pounder of Jack Daniels into each bladder. If the blood thirsty little buggers died, yea baby! If they managed to find their way back to their eggs; better yet. Skeeter fetal alcohol syndrome! In the fall, I would empty the bladders and save it for Christmas
    shooters for when the inlaws come to visit...Whoa; slow down...these skeeters really have pushed me over the edge.