jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the different ways to take medicine?

1. Roy Perrin profile image60
    Roy Perrinposted 6 years ago

What are the different ways to take medicine?

There are some medicines that are to be taken under the tongue, like nausea medicines for example.  is there any difference if you take it under the tongue or swallow it?  Won't it still do the same thing?

2. profile image0
    Steve RNposted 6 years ago

There are different ways to take medicine may it be oral, sublingual, rectal, Intravenous, Intramuscular, or even subcutaneously.

There is a big difference with regards to its rate of absorption. For instance Captopril a medication for Hypertension is mostly taken under the tongue rather than orally because its absorbed faster thus, preventing potential complications.

3. Roy Perrin profile image60
    Roy Perrinposted 6 years ago

Thanks Steve RN.  So if I take a daily med that is sublingual, but I swallow it (it tastes too horrible to let it dissolve under my tongue) then there's no problem?

4. Rob Winters profile image86
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

Steve is spot on there Roy usually you may be directed to take a medicine e.g. valium by placing it under the tongue - this is primarily due to the speed at which it will be absorbed and therefore the quicker it's effects will occur. Another factor that can come into play with swallowing certain meds relates to whether it's on a full stomach etc.This factor can effect the efficacy of some meds.

5. whizzer profile image76
    whizzerposted 6 years ago

Roy, if you swallow a medicine that is meant to be taken sublingually, then apart from the speed of absorbtion, you need to be aware that the stomach acid may neutralise the medicine altogether. Different drugs are absorbed from different parts of the alimentary tract, so you should do as instructed otherwise the medication may be useless.