jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are some of the different ways you do to cut corners to save money?

1. Jeni Pari profile image59
    Jeni Pariposted 6 years ago

What are some of the different ways you do to cut corners to save money?

For instance a friend once told me she cuts her dryer sheets in half so she gets twice as many loads of laundry done.

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Eat at cheaper places for one. Instead of paying $8 or $10 per meal at nice restaurants or even fast food places, get something cheap at your local Kroger or Walmart. For example, on some days I eat a mean that cost pretty low. $1.50 for a slab of Salmon from Kroger, and $0.50 for a can of sides (corn, green beans, etc.) And that is one meal that was only $2.00 plus tax. Also instead of shopping for clothes at the mall, run down to a thrift store. You still get clothes that fit.

3. Crystal Edwards profile image52
    Crystal Edwardsposted 6 years ago

Ha ha ha I cut my dryer sheets in half to get twice as many loads wink Also, make sure when you do laundry you fill the water to the appropriate size of load, I never realized that some people just fill all the way up without checking. Also I use vinegar or bleach to clean almost everything. It's way cheaper than buying different cleaners.

4. Hypersapien profile image35
    Hypersapienposted 6 years ago

I just built a hub around this topic, but we clip coupons and do price comparisons for grocery shopping.  (Rather than run all over town trying to get the best deals, a store that does price comparison - like Wal Mart - will sell you products at the same price as their competitor if you just show them the ad at checkout.)  I also pack my own lunch for work and have tried to cut out drinking soda.  (People complain about the price of gas, but even at 50 cents a can soda costs about $5 per gallon!)

5. Lizam1 profile image82
    Lizam1posted 6 years ago

Make your own cleaners using vinegar and bicarbonate of soda.  Drive your car less and try to not drive at least two days per week.  Cook all food from scratch and buy larger quantities making extra meals for the freezer.  Use a toaster oven for small dishes such as mac and cheese or to bake ptatoes.  Wash clothes on cold water.  Only use the dryer for towels and jeans and limit use to once per week.  Only grocery shop with a list and only buy things on the list.

working