This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

To those who love learning languages! How do you learn a language from zero?

1. szts77 profile image59
    szts77posted 6 years ago

To those who love learning languages! How do you learn a language from zero?

I'm a linguist, knowing four languages. I'm considering learning Italian now, after Russian, English, Spanish and French - it sounds great, and it also seems similar to Spanish and therefore should be easy to learn.

But what about German? I would love to learn German but I'm not sure how. I've been recommended this software called Rosetta Stone - they said it's effective. However, another person told me it's useless compared to actually being taught by a real person.

Any suggestions? Maybe personal experiences?

2. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

Hi!  I am not a linguist (I'm an English professor!) but somehow, I've ended up attempting to learn Spanish, French, German, Greek, American Sign Language, and now Mandarin.  With Mandarin, I'm trying something different--studying on my own using podcasts and pimsleur and online work.  Although Mandarin is much more difficult--almost no words can be "guessed" as you would with another European language--I think I'm learning better by studying on my own because I can go slowly and wait until I really know words before going on to the next set of vocabulary.  I did write a hub about my experience if you want to know more.  I'm now in the process of teaching my kids the same way--also using videos with songs etc.  I'm still working on my hub about that.  We are getting ready for a trip to China next May.

3. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I just love listening to German, watching German programs, and speaking with Germans.  I always found that listening and watching a person's mouth while they speak is one of the best ways, as is picking up a basic vocabulary book.  Have fun!

4. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

I would go with being taught by a native speaker of that language. Or even better, living in that country (if you can do it) to get immersed in its culture and language.
    I think you might find it interesting, there was Heinrich Schliemann (the one who discovered Troy) who used to learn different languages by reading the same book in language he knew and in language he was attempting to learn.

5. szts77 profile image59
    szts77posted 6 years ago

Thanks, Monisajda, I think I'll actually attempt that myself!

working