jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think of teacher's unions?

1. jcoop profile image60
    jcoopposted 6 years ago

What do you think of teacher's unions?

Are they a necessary protection or perpetuating mediocrity?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5478531_f260.jpg

2. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I've been a teacher and I've been in unions and not in unions.  I think the unions hurt education and teachers, but I think that sometimes administration and changes in curriculum to go with trends hurt teachers and education more.  I was trying to help my son once find an answer in a history book and was absolutely stunned at how horribly written it was.

3. CZCZCZ profile image83
    CZCZCZposted 6 years ago

Not a fan of the unions in general and i dont see teachers as a big group of oppressed labors requiring union protections.  Unions were a great thing when average workers were being taken advantage of greatly and ditched to the curb when they were hurt, didnt work 12 - 18 hours a day etc.  Teaching is no easy job, but if we as a society paid all teachers better not just the small percentage of legacy old teachers that have earned seniority then i think more would be open to teaching and it would benefit the students something i dont think the unions care much about anyway. 

Now students might need a union to get a quality education in today's world.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

the unions are stupid. greed and laziness are becoming the norm due to the unions. teachers rarely teach because they enjoy it these days but instead they become teachers for the money, the holidays and the job security.

5. MazioCreate profile image71
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

I have been a teacher for 34 years and have been a union member for that period of time. In my state (Queensland, Australia) the union fought for equal pay for female teachers, who make up nearly 70% of the teaching population, as late as the 60's early 70's.  I had the opportunity to receive professional development as part of my teaching hours, because the union fought for it in our enterprise bargaining. I was able to introduce changes to practices in schools, because I had the support of the union. When I suffered personal trauma, it was the union who supported my case and ensured I received appropriate support.  I'm not sure how unions work  in other countries, but education would not be where it is today without the ongonig efforts of my teachers' union.

6. thebookmom profile image75
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

If you have trouble they can be really really helpful.  I don't like how involved they are with non-education related political issues and how much of the money actually funds political things.  For that reason I never joined one when I was teaching.

working