jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is public education on its death bed?

1. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Is public education on its death bed?

I was reading about new schools of thought:  It seems that a grassroots movement about offering tech schools to high school students instead of the traditional education which is supposed to advance students towards college.  The argument is that not every student goes to college and at least they would learn a trade.   

Post reactions below... thank you.

2. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I hated learning, as do many teenage males, when i was in high school. I attended an Auto Mechanic course my Junior year, but it was discountinued the next year due to budget concerns. Many of the kids I met in that class had no aspirations toward college whatsoever. However, many were exceptional mechanics, welders, electricians, etc. considering their age. I honestly feel that many of these kids would have dropped out had it not been for the vocational training. Many are being steered away from college for obvious reasons; unless you are an engineer or go to grad school, the cost of the education and lost income leave you with a lifetime income equivalent to that of a high school graduate. If colleges continue to raise tuition rates while prices for everything else go up, I see no other alternative. At the very least, vocational programs should be optional for students.

3. kschmutzler profile image85
    kschmutzlerposted 6 years ago

I just read an article not too long ago that a company in Minnesota is hiring kids BEFORE they get out of Vo-Tech to insure that they will come to work for them.  There is such a shortage of skilled tradesmen right now that the ones that are any good at what they do can pretty much count on a job.  The same cannot be said for college graduates.

4. profile image46
    pmpaustraliaposted 6 years ago

Over time I think skilled people will become as much if not more in demand than the white collared worker! Why would public education be on its death bed it will thrive as long as tuition costs are this high.
    Source: http://www.ama.edu.au/

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image81
      Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The public educational system has somehow been held down.  Parents should attempt to influence it More. These are Your Kids and it is Their Education.  Demand more Technology/ Trade classes. Boys need more relevant subjects to pursue.

working