jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do teachers get paid the least of all professionals?

1. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

Why do teachers get paid the least of all professionals?

I have been subbing a lot lately and I love being around these kids, but at the end of the day, I feel drained, and sometimes with  a headache. It just made me wonder, with all that teachers have to do, including putting up with some unreasonable parents, how did they end up with such lousy salaries? And to think that without teachers we won't have doctors, engineers, IT Professionals and CEO.

2. thebookmom profile image75
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

I have no idea.   When I taught it drove me crazy, especially when people made comments along the lines that this is ok.  I think most people don't realize the time, thought and money teachers pour into their students.  If the average person really knew what it takes to teach well, teachers would make a LOT more!

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 6 years ago

Teaching, my dear ComfortB ... is not a Profession ... its a Mission ... and Missionaries, who get paid ... anything ... for their work ... are the lucky ones ... and besides, there is always the possibility of being boiled alive by the cannibal .

You, a Teacher ... are dealing with young, pliable minds ... your devotion, makes these minds into what humans should be ... not into Pro CEO, doctors, engineers and IT professionals ... who care a heck what happens as long as their corporations make profit ... and make you believe, that their yardstick of success is money ... and the standard, of Humanity.

4. vjpender profile image61
    vjpenderposted 6 years ago

I have been teaching for a long time, and twenty years ago when I began my undergraduate degree it was suggested to us that teacher salaries were low in order to make sure that people who became teachers were in it for the right reason and not the money. Now, it's all about the money for schools, because they are trying to hire new teachers or teachers with little experience so they do not have to pay them as much. Experienced teachers are falling by the way side. Schools do not want to hire them because they set higher up on the pay scale.