jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do we get paid less for some back breaking work.. and more paid for nonse

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image81
    Darknlovely3436posted 6 years ago

Why do we get paid less for some  back breaking  work..
    and more  paid for nonsensical job.

Why is that?

2. Miss Married profile image55
    Miss Marriedposted 6 years ago

People get paid for knowledge and education.  Although some work is really hard physically, it doesn't take knowledge or education to do it..  Physical work use to be an art, society does not recognize that anymore.

3. Hublog profile image60
    Hublogposted 6 years ago

You get paid more for using your brain as almost everyone is capable of doing physical work but not everyone can use their brain.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

it's a value system. few people can do a hard days work everyday, in facy very few so society has made nonsensical tasks higher in importance. we seem to now think that educated people deserve more money which i find hilarious.  so many of these people couldn't handle actually working hard but going to school and then sitting in a chair all day at work is the way we have decided what is more important to us. Hublog is so wrong it's not funny, no insult intended bud. people will say hard work doesn't take any thinking, try planning and then building a 4 bedroom, 5 washroom house with a sunken living room, spiral staircase etc. ya us uneducated hardwqorking folks don't need to think.

5. abrarr profile image60
    abrarrposted 6 years ago

all because of the fact that back breaking working days are over, machines do it for them...its now the brainy work been paid more because machines are made by brains not by body power.

6. leroy64 profile image82
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

I think that wages will ultimately depend on how many people are lined up to apply for the job and how many of those people can actually do the job.  Most of the backbreaking and mindnumbing jobs are hold overs from the assembly line mentality of the early twentieth century.  Machines (robotics) are quickly replacing the jobs where thinking is not required.  An example of that would be automobile factories, where robotics are increasingly replacing the assembly line. One of the other commenters mentioned planning and constructing a house.  While that does not require a college education, at least in Texas, it does require experience and intelligence as well as physical prowess and leadership skills. 

As for the term nonsensical job, people do not give away money for nothing.  At least not for extended periods of time.  For example, professional athletes actually do not get paid to play a game, or even win.  They are paid to fill seats and sell products and possibly represent the organization.  Without those talents, a pro athlete would just have a hobby. 

Some jobs just look easy or worthless, until you try to do them.  I think writing looks easy; but, I have found that there is a lot of effort going into making anything readable.

7. Nellieanna profile image80
    Nellieannaposted 6 years ago

Some of the highest paid work there is pays people to play sports and to perform, as in acting, etc.  Those are possibly more competitive to enter, but there is not so much education required and they provide no necessities of life.

Meanwhile, many with the most education struggle along on professor's salaries while those who barely get through school go on to make millions a year to entertain people - some of whom pay hundreds - even thousands - for a ticket to see a game, though they really can hardly afford it.  The country is screaming about the current economics, but the games are well attended!  As someone says, it's a value system.  I'd add that its one in which we prize entertainment above most all other choices.  It  says something about a people's character, perhaps.

My dad always said "someone has to produce it."  We don't give much value to those who grow our food and make things we NEED for life.  Our eyes are elsewhere. It may happen that those things cease to be "there" for us to take for granted at this rate.  Someone has to produce it.  It will hurt if that happens.  It will mean life or death in many cases.