What was the last "justified" war that American involved itself in?

1. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

What was the last "justified" war that American involved itself in?

Personally, I think that alterior (i.e. corporate) motives are obvious in every American war after the War of 1812 (during which the National Anthem was written). Basically, what was the last war that the United States entered for purely idealistic reasons and not to promote corporate interests or expand an empire?

2. ajcor profile image59
    ajcorposted 6 years ago

World War 2 when they came to aid of the allies thereby helping them to win war and be safe...I know in Australia we really appreciated their efforts on our behalf and the other participatory nations!

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

Are you suggesting Vietnam was not justified? Just kidding. I would agree on all points except the part about the wars of, and prior to, 1812 having no business interests at heart. The Northwest Indian War of the 1780s and 1790s was completely in support of land speculation companies (Miami company of John Symmes, and others). The sole purpose of the regular army between 1783 and 1797 was to surround and subdue Ohio for the wealthy land speculators who bought up the land and mortgaged it out to settlers at a higher price. The president gave the game away in 1812 when, after Congress declared war, he took the opportunity to build and army and try to conquer British Canada and Spanish Florida. These two strategic objectives had absolutely nothing to do with the supposed motives behind the war declaration. Cotton and sugar barons did have their eyes on Florida. Canada had limitless possibilities. But his decision almost cost us our country, were it not for generals William Harrison and Andrew Jackson. But was there ever a "justified" war in the US?--yes. The first Barbary War against Tripoli was a war I would have prosecuted were I president in 1801. I'm sorry, but World War II was none of our business and we should have let the USSR, UK, and Germany have it out just as they had been doing for the past 1,100 years with almost no interruption. FDR was eager to get in and coerced Japan into attacking us first. So I don't buy that we only entered the war because we were defending ourselves.

working