jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

If history repeats itself, do you believe their is a chance slavery will come ag

1. SilentMagenta profile image72
    SilentMagentaposted 3 years ago

If history repeats itself, do you believe their is a chance slavery will come again?

2. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 3 years ago

Unfortunately, SilentMagenta, its never gone away. Just look at places like the Sudan in Africa, or the young girls trapped into forced prostitution from eastern Europe and elsewhere, not to mention the international slavery trade in children for pedophilia and other nefarious purposes.

1. Veroniquebee profile image75
      Veroniquebeeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Just what I wanted to say. Slavery on itself never went away, it just changed places, names and the group it's focused on.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12021433_f260.jpg

Slavery is present in one way or another, particularly in the working classes.  The operational definition of working classes is anyone who works for another person & does not own a business or enterprise.  The majority of people, even middle class people, are latter day slaves.  Their livelihoods are dependent upon the company or corporate entity they work for. 

The average worker is brought.  His/her salary & other benefits are on the behest of the powers that be of the corporation.  He/she must be on his/her more positive working behavior if he/she is to be retained by this corporation.  He/she must toll the corporate line.  In essence, he/she has to watch his/her Ps & Qs if he/she wants to be in the corporate good graces & retain his/her employment.  Workers who are more recalcitrant are told to toll the line. If they elect to remain recalcitrant, they are punitively disciplined(like rebellious slaves were but on a more "evolved" order), even terminated. 

Even more affluent workers e.g. celebrities, athletes,& movie stars  have to toll the line & present a positive  image. They have to do what the powers that be want or they will lose their livelihood. How  many celebrities lost their status/fell out of favor because they acted in ways that the powers that be deemed to be incorrect.   If one does not  own a business, conglomerate, or enterprise,  he/she is OWNED & a latter day slave.

4. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

If you are specifically referring to whether those of African descent will ever again be bought and sold as slaves to other Americans, then the answer is of course, no. If anyone will become slaves it will be all of us enslaved to the rich and powerful that rule this country. This is quite an absurd question and I can't help but think that you are just trying to stir something up?

Maybe I'm wrong about your motives for this question but to seriously ponder if we will revert to a antebellum society is nonsense.

As gmwilliams explained in her answer, the concept of slavery is still alive and well, but using a different set of variables.

1. SilentMagenta profile image72
      SilentMagentaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I was not just speaking of African decent. I was speaking in the general sense.

2. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Then what do you mean by "again?"  Was there a time in history when the general populace was under slavery?

3. SilentMagenta profile image72
      SilentMagentaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Different culture expressed slavery. The spanish, jews and many others were slaves. I am asking will slavery be accepted as right?

4. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh ok. Well that's different from your original question. I think those who engage in the slave don't really care if it's right or wrong.

working