jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is online schooling as good as traditional schooling?

1. JenJen0703 profile image82
    JenJen0703posted 6 years ago

Is online schooling as good as traditional schooling?

2. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I have nothing but good things to say about online schooling. I have been an online student for about three years and hope to have my BA degree completed in a little more than a year. My wife is a traditional student who pays higher tuition and fees while battling traffic every day to get to school. Online schooling is great for working adults. But please, make sure the university is both nationally and regionally accredited. There are a lot of diploma mills out there. If you want a licensure program (law, nursing, psychology) be sure the program is accredited by the appropriate state or national agency. I have known several people who have completed nursing programs only to discover that the state board of nursing would not grant them a license. If you are getting a law degree (JD) online, you are wrong. There are no accredited law programs available through distance learning. Psychology is also a touchy subject and many schools (Argosy, Walden, etc.) offer non-accredited Ph.D. programs which are not approved by the American Psychological Association (APA).

3. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 6 years ago

Of course. Like any form of education, it comes down to what the student/learner puts into it.

For a while I was hesitant about earning my Ph.D. online (My colleagues assured me I would have a tough time getting a full-time academic job with an online degree) after going to "good and known" schools for undergraduate and graduate school. The same would have been true for my Ph.D., but the economy went south and the program I applied to could only fund two students instead of the usual 20+.  So, I looked into online programs because I would be footing the bill while working, studying, and raising two little ones. Like Jonesy0311 says, you just have to make sure the institution has the right accreditation(s). 

Getting an online degree is like the infamous GPA when getting your first job. No one cares about your GPA after you land you first job (or they may not even care then if you have the talent required). The same is true for your degree. No one cares if your degree was online or not after you have proven yourself at one job or show you are talented.

4. irfansweb profile image57
    irfanswebposted 6 years ago

Online schooling is not only the best form of education in these days but also it teaches self-discipline and responsibility to an online student.

5. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 6 years ago

It can be, but it depends on how determined the student is. You can just find answers and fill in homework, or you can learn it all and make connections.

6. JenJen0703 profile image82
    JenJen0703posted 6 years ago

I attend online college and will be receiving my associate's degree in Information Technology this summer...I am so excited!

7. profile image47
    cristinadlerposted 5 years ago

Well, there are advantages and disadvantages of both types of schooling – online as well as on campus. It depends on what suits your current life situation better. With online schooling, you have the flexibility to work at your own pace and on your own schedule, whereas traditional schooling offers the advantage of personalized instruction.

If you are on the lookout for online education, I would recommend the distance learning programs at Independence University. Not only does the school have over three decades of experience in delivering quality education, but it’s also got accreditation from the ACCSC.

http://www.independence.edu/

8. Jeremy Carol profile image52
    Jeremy Carolposted 5 years ago

I have to agree with Stephanie. As long as the college is accredited and offers a rigorous program in your subject of interest, I don’t see why there should be any problem with online education. It’s a great option for people with work and family responsibilities and if you can make it work, then good for you! I’m considering an education in healthcare (reading a review of Stevens Henager), but when it comes to master’s program I’d like to do so from an accredited college online so that I can work and study at the same time.

http://bbb.org/boise/business-reviews/s … d-39001022

9. Kelly Underwood profile image56
    Kelly Underwoodposted 5 years ago

Online schooling is better because you gain a lot of benefits such as affordability, convenience and the speed of finishing school faster. There are online trade school that can help you too. Try this one - http://blog.earnmydegree.com/

working