jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is there such a thing as a smart idiot? ...beyond the oxymoron

1. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

Is there such a thing as a smart idiot?  ...beyond the oxymoron

no explanation... just think about the question!

2. TToombs08 profile image75
    TToombs08posted 6 years ago

My husband tells me on a regular basis that I'm the smartest dumb person he's ever met. So, I'd have to say, yes, there are smart idiots if there can be dumb smart people. LOL

3. Alecia Murphy profile image79
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

Yeah, I know plenty. I went to school with plenty of people who could quote history at the drop of a hat, but couldn't tell right from left. And then there are people who could help you in the middle of a war but didn't know who the president was. Some people have book smarts and not street smarts (common sense) and vice versa but I think to survive and enjoy life you have to have both.

4. profile image0
    Textured Ideasposted 6 years ago

Yes totally! I too have known people who were 'academically' clever but knew nothing about the real world or had much common sense, and vice versa! And there are some really 'smart idiots' out there who skipped school but had the determination to make money and businesses! I think intelligence is subjective and there are different levels of 'smart'. Great question!

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I don't believe in the traditionally-held view that there is a difference between being "academically intelligent" and "common-sense intelligent". Any fool can have common sense and Americans have been excusing their own ignorance on academic subjects for years with this sort of nonsense. "I can't identify India on a map or speak another language, but I have 'common sense'. I can hustle my phone provider to get cheaper rates, and so on" First of all, "idiot" is a clinical term for someone who is incapable of learning certain things. People who were mentally retarded or autistic were once diagnosed as "Idiots". The term we should use more today to describe a lack of knowledge is "ignorant". One may know English literature and botany inside and out, but may be ignorant of how to interact effectively with other people to close a million-dollar business deal. On the other hand, a guy who is great at managing his finances or building patios in his back yard may be ignorant of world history. People can be knowledgeable on one subject and ignorant on another. But let's not trivialize the accomplishments of the educated among us just to make ourselves feel better.

6. Michael Graves profile image58
    Michael Gravesposted 6 years ago

Yes, there are. But that's because intelligence isn't a single trait, but rather a collection of traits. A person can be really strong in one or more areas, but very weak in another. For instance, a person may have a great ability to learn, but a poor capacity for independent reasoning. These are the people who come across as well educated... and they are... but seem to keep making truly boneheaded life decisions. Then there is the flip side of the coin, people who are great at independently reasoning things out for themselves, but can't seem to learn math or the basics of English no matter how hard you try to instruct them. There are lots of other kinds, as well. Everyone is different, and has different strengths and weakness.

working