jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)

Is there such as thing as absolute truth? What is it?

1. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79
    Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 19 months ago

Is there such as thing as absolute truth? What is it?

After all, if a person insists that truth is relative (and we can't determine what beliefs are right and wrong), what reason is there to believe anything that they say?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13094220_f260.jpg

2. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 19 months ago

No reason really. We go by Faith. Saints say that they cannot tell us anything which we don't already know. They merely remind us, and if our fire is dowsed with the right ingredient, it alights, that's all.

We are the masters of our Faith, and for me at least, a small voice is talking all the time. I find that luckily, it corresponds with what the Saints tell me, but it is still up to me to make the decisions. So Absolute Truth ultimately lies in the experience of the seeker; the God-lover....or what ever other names one chooses to use.

Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 19 months agoin reply to this

If absolute truth lies in experience, what happens when experience leads different people to different truths? Does that not logically invalidate the absoluteness of said truth?

2. manatita44 profile image83
      manatita44posted 19 months agoin reply to this

Ch, the whole of life's unrest, incuding this conversation, is because we use the mind; we see two. There is only Spirit. All flow from this. But only inner experience can show us this. Not science, not mind, nor separation or division. All is He.

3. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79

What you're describing sounds like pantheism. We can agree that I will always disagree with you on that point. If all is He and I am part divine, that makes me horrifically terrified.

4. manatita44 profile image83

Pantheism is Spirit; Spirit is Pantheism. You are within that game. You are the game. There is only Consciousness, manifesting in different ways, the same Absolute eternal, timeless...Dive into the water; let go of the mind..

5. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79

You certainly are free to hold your own opinion.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 19 months ago

I'll paraphrase Dennis Prager to answer this.
    If there is no absolute right or wrong per the Ten Commandments, then there is no absolute morality.
    If you use majority rule as the basis of truth and morality, 95% can vote to kill the other 5%, or 90% can decide to enslave the other ten.
    If there is no absolute morality per a higher power, then morality can be whatever someone says it is. And you get dens of thieves whose values say theft is OK, or a cult of Kali saying it is good to murder people.

The same would apply to justice. If something is deemed "unjust" we have to ask where our idea of justice comes from. It's not the universe because it is indifferent. It's not society because society isn't an independent organism.

4. profile image0
    JDWilhiteposted 19 months ago

The claim that thete is no absolute is itself a statement of an absolute.

1. manatita44 profile image83

Yes, you're so right. That which does not exist, can never come into being; that which exists, can never cease to be.-Gita.

2. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79

Relativity relativizes itself.

5. wingedcentaur profile image86
    wingedcentaurposted 19 months ago

Hi CH Elijah Sadaphal! How's it going?

My but that is a rather sweeping question you ask. But I shall offer you what is, as far as I can tell, a "micro-Absolute Truth," if you will permit me. It concerns one of my favorite examples.

The basic principle is this: Purity of historical, underlying motives should be tested in judging the worthiness of ritual.

What do I mean by that? Let's take my favorite two examples: 1) The Ramadan month of fasting from Islam; and 2) The practice of clerical celibacy in Catholicism.

The origin of clerical celibacy has its origin in the desire of the Church hierarchy to prevent illegitimate children of clergy from inheriting church property: a rather grubby reason. Needless to say what this practice has led to; I'm referring to the worldwide priestly child sexual molestation scandal.

But the practice of Ramadan is expressly taken on to remember the poor, who cannot eat and drink whenever they feel like it. The fast is a beautiful ritual of social solidarity.

Now, I am not a Catholic and I am not a Muslim. But the practice of clerical celibacy has base roots and has produced base results, to say the least. Ramadan, on the other hand, being a beautiful ritual of social solidarity, as I've said, is, I daresay, divine.

Take it easy!

Hey! I would dare say that regardless of how pure the original motive is, humanity has the deal with the pervasiveness of sin that warps our reality. Often, this taints the absolute and transforms any type of "truth" into socio-cultural preference.

2. wingedcentaur profile image86
      wingedcentaurposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Hold on! What question are you asking? Are you asking about "absolute truth" or are you asking about corruptibility of said truth? And, to my knowledge, the Ramadan has not been corrupted by "sin" in the same way priestly celibacy has.

3. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79

Both, and I am not qualified to comment on matters as they pertain to Islam.

4. wingedcentaur profile image86

But, does an "absolute" truth's corruptibility make it any less "absolutely" true? We're talking about human execution of "truth," as it were.

5. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79

Absolute truth remains absolute and true independent of people. It is in the execution of that truth that corruption enters and taints.

6. wingedcentaur profile image86

Good! Then why did you mention, last time, about your inability to talk about matters pertaining to Islam? That was not the issue I was raising. The compassion of the Ramadan (to remember the poor) remains an unadulterated "truth," does it not?

7. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image79

Because I am not familiar with much is the Muslim faith. Hence, in reference to the claim that, "Ramadan has not been corrupted by 'sin'" I can't comment. I am uninformed about Ramadan & its tradition, therefore I will refrain from commenting.

8. wingedcentaur profile image86

But you do not have to know anything about Islam. An "absolute truth" is not an absolute truth, if it is specific to any religious or philosophical system. The question is: Do you consider sympathy and compassion to be absolute truths?

9. profile image57
      Norine Williamsposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Are you guys Christian?  If so, you KNOW "men LIE," GOD doesn't (Numbers 23:19)!  So NOTHING is "ABSOLUTE TRUTH" BUT GOD (aka HOLY SPIRIT)!

6. profile image57
    Norine Williamsposted 19 months ago

TRUTH is in the eye of the beholder! 
    I see you posted this question under “Religion and Philosophy,” but I will answer from a “Spiritual” perspective and in doing so, it depends on whether one is a Believer or an Unbeliever! 
    As Believers, the Scripture told us to “test the spirits” (I John 4:1) and there is a lot of “testing” going on from the comments and answers I’ve seen to various questions on HP!  MOST “think” there are millions of highways to the CREATOR and that “We all serve the same GOD” which is a “LIE,” according to Scripture! 
    If CHRIST is the Bridegroom (Ephesians 5:23-27) and we (THE CHURCH) are HIS Bride, do you think HE wants us committing “Spiritual” adultery?  Within various “Religions,” they either worship “man” (Geeta, Prophet Muhammad, etc.) or “an idol” (Buddha, etc.) which is committing “Spiritual” adultery!  Did GOD not say HE is “A JEALOUS GOD” (Exodus 34:14)?  Even within “Christianity,” man has “interpreted” what he “thinks” is right (Proverbs 14:12) also committing “Spiritual” adultery! 
    IF one is a Believer, they MUST believe “ALL” of GOD’S WORD!  Proverbs 30:5 says “Every WORD of GOD is “PURE:” (RIGHT) HE is a shield unto them that put their “trust” in HIM.”  Did you notice key word: “TRUST?” 
    There are numerous debates as to whether or not the Bible was actually “inspired by GOD” (II Timothy 3:16) to which I say, “YES,” because the basic “Moral of the Story” has not been removed!  Sure, man has “added” and/or “deleted” from HIS WORD, but before JESUS’ ascension, HE asked us to “WAIT” (Acts 1:4) for “HELP” from the HOLY SPIRIT (John 14:26; 16:13) which would “lead and guide us into “ALL” TRUTH” which includes “additions” and/or “deletions!”   
    You are right in saying “…we (man) can't determine what beliefs are right and wrong” for JESUS said HE (HOLY SPIRIT) would “lead and guide us into ALL TRUTH” but “unfortunately,” we “lean to our own understanding” and not “TRUST” in HIS WORD (Proverbs 3:5) which has created over 33,000+ denominations within "Christianity" and the majority is NOT "With One Accord!"  IF the Holy Spirit was involved, we would have the SAME MIND and would receive the SAME "REVELATION" of HIS WORD! 
    Did Scripture not tell us (Believers) to "Let this mind be in you which was also in CHRIST JESUS" (Philippians 2:5)?  Why then do you think CHRIST have 33,000+ different minds?   

Therefore, TRUTH comes from no one, BUT GOD!

working