jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is money a measure of the value of objects and services?

1. leroy64 profile image83
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

Is money a measure of the value of objects and services?

I am not educated as an economist.  I ran across this statement in a novel; and, I am wondering if it is a valid thought or just an author's fancy.

2. Alexander Mark profile image83
    Alexander Markposted 6 years ago

Oy that's a tough one!I suspect that you think it may be a valid thought :-)

I would have to say that for objects of lesser worth, yes, because although it is irritating to see the price of something go up just because everyone suddenly wants it, that price does reflect demand.

However, there are some big things that do not deserve the value they receive because they are artificially inflated by greedy corporations, such as cell phone services or especially cars. Why is it everyone has to go in debt for a vehicle or even a house? Way back when, people used to build their own houses, and I'm not sure it even took 10 years to do so, probably a year. Of course to have modern conveniences costs money too, but to me, paying a mortgage for 30 years is slavery.

So where it counts the most, I'll say no, because the majority of people don't control the value of money anymore, the government, banks and powerful corporations do.

3. thesecondadvent profile image60
    thesecondadventposted 6 years ago

My Dear Sweet Friend,

Absolutely not!  Money itself is simply paper and rocks melt down.  As a medium of exchange a fixed rate of value is not possible because value changes from one to  another. 

Whereas one person would kill for a dollar, another would risk all, life and limb for it.  And, unfortunately, money is often worshipped as a god in the world. So, how can it be a measure of anything.

4. Catsandogs profile image61
    Catsandogsposted 6 years ago

You can't measure everything in money, no. many objects could have sentimental value, I know with some of my things, they may not be as expensive as others I've got, but I value them more, because of the memories around them, and the love that was shown with them, the same can be said with services.

5. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 6 years ago

Depends on how much value you place on economics.  I grew up believing that yes you have to make some money in order to live, but there are a lot of things you can do that are not dependent on money.  For instance, you can grow vegetables in your own garden, and be very independent this way.  Some people living on isolated South Pacific islands still live heavily off the land, and they are not reliant on any economic system.  I have found the more you are concerned about money and acquiring material things, the more contingent your happiness will be upon this. I believe that if you are willing to find things in life not based upon money, you can survive, and even thrive.

working