jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you help a child who is hyperactive?

1. cabmgmnt profile image86
    cabmgmntposted 6 years ago

How do you help a child who is hyperactive?

I am looking for ideas other than medicating.

2. LailaK profile image77
    LailaKposted 6 years ago

I have a niece who is hyperactive. It is sometimes very difficult to work with children who are hyperactive, but we have to try our best to understand them. I suggest that you try to always keep them busy and moving in daily activities. Allow them to help you by doing chores. For homework specifically, try to use imagery and motion to let them understand the concepts. For example, when teaching my niece how to count, I told her to jump the number of times she was counting. Though you have to set rules on things like quiet time...try your best to enforce those rules by allowing the child to exhaust their physical energy in the morning, and relaxing at night. I am no where near an expert on this, but I hope that my answer offered some help smile Good luck!

3. terced ojos profile image64
    terced ojosposted 6 years ago

"The Boot Method."

Every time she gets hyper-active you call her over to you or go get her whichever is more expedient.

You point down at your boot while looking sternly into her eyes.  When she looks down you reach down and brush the tip of your boot off with your hands.  Then you tell her to go play. When she turns to walk or run away you swiftly put that boot up her hind parts sending her flying. Then you say in a commanding voice. "Calm the fu*k down or you'll get more of the same."

In the old days they called this "disciplining your children." It is a lost art but I find that if the police are not called to jail the participating parents it works just fine.

4. denise.w.anderson profile image93
    denise.w.andersonposted 6 years ago

Many children who are hyperactive are sensitive to changes in their diet. Some foods may make them more active. Things such as food dye (especially red), sugar, and gluten, may make them more hyperactive and irritable. My daughter has two very active children. She has found that a gluten-free diet has made them much more managable. Seeing that children eat fruits and vegatables, whole grain foods, and lean meats, rather than a lot of processed foods that are high in sugars and starches can made a difference.