jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which is worth more: Income or Social Status?

1. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Which is worth more: Income or Social Status?

or do you feel they are so related that one cannot be greater than the other?

2. NiaG profile image90
    NiaGposted 6 years ago

I would say income. I can care less what people think of me or how I "fit in" to the social status. I just want to live comfortably and happily.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Income is more important to me as it allows me to live the life I want and care for my family.  Social standing is of no importance to me.  I could care less what people think.  I try to be kind and considerate and after that they can think what they like.

4. MelissaVsWorld profile image84
    MelissaVsWorldposted 6 years ago

Although I would like to say that social status is less important, in all honesty it is not.  If your social status or reputation aren't up to par by most "normal" standards, it can impact your ability to earn an income, and therefore impact your ability to provide for your family.  Your reputation is everything.  It can make or break you in the business world. 

Do I think it is fair that one's social status should be tied to their ability to earn income?  No, most definitely not.  However, it is the way society is ran.  If a business owner has a reputation of being an incorrigible, low-class, scandalous old miser, more often than not they will suffer in business.  In contrast, if a business owner is known as a high society, caring, humanitarian, more people will do business with the company because the owner is respected.