jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why do people associate respect & honor with one's social status?

1. m abdullah javed profile image79
    m abdullah javedposted 2 years ago

Why do people associate respect & honor with one's social status?

2. lions44 profile image97
    lions44posted 2 years ago

It depends on the culture you line in.  I don't think that is the case in the United States. Since one's social status here is mostly based on acquired wealth and celebrity (there are exceptions), I would say that respect may come but certainly I never hear the word "honor."  Wealthy folks may be "honored" for giving to a charity but they certainly don't receive automatic respect  from the average person.  Bill Gates might be an exception.  He created an industry and has decided to do good with his wealth.  But overall, making it to the top of the financial ladder requires a ruthlessness that most people can't understand. Then they might turn around and give it away (i.e. Carnegie).  Being an honorable person in today's world is hard and having honor bestowed on people for some esoteric/financial accomplishment could become a thing of the past.

3. tajoo profile image82
    tajooposted 2 years ago

It is a sad truth I faced while growing up and I still see this happening in my surroundings. The ones who are financially well are considered the most respected; whether they're good from heart or not. The main reason for this could be the fact that money has power, it can make things done, it can buy you big stuffs and make you respected among others.

But I have also seen some people with decent financial status being honoured and respected and it happened due to their prominent achievements or unbeatable skills or even good manners and pure heart. Having good qualities somehow manage to make your place into someone's heart, even if your bank balance is not high.

4. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

Around here we practice irreverence. Those things entitled to respect in Western traditional society are immediately questioned and put to the test.  Nothing is sacrosanct around here. We respect and honor life and the human being and plants and animals and nature as a whole. Some things get you prejudicial respect. But that is left to pre-judgment and must stand up to scrutiny. Age is good to begin with, position in family gets a bump for starters, We honor education very highly but - heck, I have a doctorate and my five year old challenges me hourly.
    "Social Status" around here will get a smirk and an assumption that you sold out for something. Wealth is either a lottery/inheritance deal or you made that a priority and what does that say about you? Our faith teaches us to treat a pauper or down and out fellow like it may be God or an Angel visiting, but makes no such concession for a wealthy or powerful man.
    Cool question, I had not thought about this for awhile. Here is the downside, you cannot rest just because you are a father or head of the household, you still have to constantly earn your honor and respect.

1. Venkatachari M profile image41
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A good reply. I agree with you.

5. Venkatachari M profile image41
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

Nowadays, there is no such association of respect and honor with status. It used to be there among ignorant people in old days. If there is any, it is only a false layer or fear of that person oppressing you. We may feel some uneasy feeling or embarrassment with high status people. But it is not equal to being treated as with respect or honor.
    The true respect or honor that we give is to those who are generous, honest and of helping and supportive nature for the welfare of society and who guide you through all worldly problems.

1. Ericdierker profile image53
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well said

working