Which is the easiest foreign language to master and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Which is the easiest foreign language to master and why?

2. EuroNinila profile image70
    EuroNinilaposted 12 years ago

I would say Spanish because compared to other languages it is most similar to English and it would be most useful to you considering its the 2nd language next to English.

3. bradbutler profile image60
    bradbutlerposted 12 years ago

If you are native English speaker, then it would be Spanish.
    Spanish pronunciation is fairly easy for English speakers, with only ten vowel/dipthong sounds (English has 20), and the easy-to-master letter ñ. Like Italian, the orthography is clear and simple; words are written as they’re pronounced, which makes reading easier. Grammatically, Spanish has fewer irregularities than other romance languages too.

4. favouriteperfume profile image57
    favouriteperfumeposted 12 years ago

Interesting question and I would say that the easiest second language for anyone to learn is the universal language of Esperanto, which is a constructed language devised by a Polish doctor  LL Zamenhof in the 1870s/1880s. It has just 16 easy grammatical rules and very regular  patterns so there's no irregular verbs to learn. It is estimated that around 10,000,000 have studied it to some extent at some time.

5. Triimarc profile image61
    Triimarcposted 12 years ago

Spanish is a good suggestion, but I would recommend German. Many of our words have a germanic origin.  It is a very technical language which follows fairly strict grammatical rules unlike english and spanish both of which are rife with exceptions to the rule.  Just my opinion after trying french, arabic and spanish.

6. johannaalexa profile image59
    johannaalexaposted 12 years ago

umm try to learn Filipino language, but i self-studied Korean the problem is , its hard to put the words to form a sentence, there are a lot of similar words.

7. researchpapers profile image60
    researchpapersposted 12 years ago

Its Spanish because i learnt it and its very much similar to English and you will learn it in short of time as well.

8. profile image54
    manickrajposted 12 years ago

it"s a world language .easyly to speak.but tamil language is wonderful language world old language also. mother language is best one of world .our mother language simple to our country

9. Austin Dawursk profile image61
    Austin Dawurskposted 12 years ago

It all depends on your age. Your brain is capable of not only learning new into, but physically change to accommodate it. However the older you get the harder it is to learn and process info unconsciously. When your a baby, your mind is like wet clay. It picks up new info all the time, and the brain shapes into what it needs to do that's why you can have actual conversations when your 4 and your native language better and more fluently then foreigners who learned it at say 16. You learn the language and then it becomes second nature, you don't have to think what each sound of a word means, unconscious recognition, but when you learn a language when your older say 16 your already hard wired for your native language, and it becomes harder to learn a new language, it like taking an old computer from the 90's and trying to down load window 7 on it, it may work a little but it won't know what it is and move slower or not process the info, so in conclusion there is no such thing as an easy language to learn. Language is the most complicated thing for your brain and and does not allow a lot of space to change once a language is fully learned. It doesn't mean you cant learn a new language, you will just have an accent and will have to ask fluent speakers to repeat a lot of what they say.

10. soulsirene profile image61
    soulsireneposted 12 years ago

For me, Spanish is the easiest foreign language to master. Our dialects in the Philippines, are mixed with some Spanish language. We could sing few Spanish songs, regardless of mispronunciation of some words. If we can, why can't you.

11. Nicola Tweedie profile image60
    Nicola Tweedieposted 12 years ago

One you can easily practice - i.e. with someone who you see regularly who speaks that language fluently.
    Language is a living thing and the best place to learn it is within a community of speakers.

12. sara xiao profile image60
    sara xiaoposted 12 years ago

It depends the contry which your family live in. Surely,baby-talk must be the first language that people want to talk.

13. Casey Strouse profile image59
    Casey Strouseposted 12 years ago

I would agree that esperanto is probably one of the easiest languages to master because of it's logical and regular structure.  Words are encoded so you know their part of speech simply by the ending; however, this can lead to problems when trying to learn other "natural" languages as they do not have some of these features.

I found it rather difficult to make progress learning Swedish after two years of learning and using esperanto regularly.  I kept wishing that Swedish had grammar encoded endings and other things that could be viewed as a crutch in esperanto.

14. lzlpio90 profile image70
    lzlpio90posted 12 years ago

Definitely SPANISH! Before, I was eager to learn French, but it just got my tongue tied! I could hardly pronounce the word specially with "r".. It is so difficult! But, when i diverted to Spanish, it is somewhat different.  Maybe because Filipino language has similarity with Spanish words. Within a month or so of learning, I can speak a little with it and even understand some of the basic words. It's way too far with the French. But, still I love both the languages and I want to learn even more.

15. finajenny profile image57
    finajennyposted 12 years ago

based on my experience it would be Korean and I don't know why,  I guess it's about interest and the reason why you want to learn the language.

Since I was young my grandpa start to teach me Spanish I use it for a while, I was quite good actually but when he died and I don't have anyone to converse with using the language I kindah forgot, of course I still know the basics but not as good as I once once.

I learn french too (my foreign language subject) but for one year all I know is the words of introduction we were forced to memorize.

I learn Korean for six months (speaking only) and after six month I am quite good and until now I can still converse, of course I have the accent but I am understood. smile

16. StellaSee profile image76
    StellaSeeposted 12 years ago

I would say it's Spanish too. I think it's easier for me because I also speak Japanese and the pronunciation is closer to that language than in English. Grammatically, the verb conjugations and things like that have a certain predictable pattern that it's not too difficult to memorize. (compared to like, German! big_smile

17. Joy M profile image69
    Joy Mposted 12 years ago

I like dabbling in foreign languages and, as a native English speaker, having tried Spanish, German, French and a little Chinese.  German was by far the easiest.  As Triimarc meantioned many of our words are Germanic, there aren't any weird pronunciations, and the words actually follow the rules - unlike English.  On a side note I've heard that English is the worst language to learn as a second language.

18. profile image0
    TwistedFate2057posted 12 years ago

Definitely German. Many of their words are either pronounced exactly the same as in English (only a little harsher and more Germanic), or a very similar to English words. Of course there are different rules and words like in any other language, but as a beginning language it is very easy.

19. profile image50
    alexibarraposted 11 years ago

I think it depends in your native language...

I'm Mexican, so Spanish first,  English as second language, basic Japanese as 3rd for now, I would like to take on another 3+ languages but I would really like to know what are the best options...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)