jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What would you do if the lactation nurse who comes to teach you how to nurse ree

1. vdubhaus profile image60
    vdubhausposted 6 years ago

What would you do if the lactation nurse who comes to teach you how to nurse reeked of smoke?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6165198_f260.jpg

2. Bella Nina profile image73
    Bella Ninaposted 6 years ago

Show her the door.  I wouldn't let her near my baby.  I don't tolerate smoking around me or in my home.

Secondly, I would report it.  Whoever sent her out should be aware that she is showing up like that to people's homes, and that it is unhealthy and offensive.

I'm pretty strongly opinionated about smoking . . . and that's just how I feel about it.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Do you really need a special nurse to teach you how to nurse?  You have all the required equipment, and you can experiment until you are both comfortable.  If necessary get a book.  But I would decline her assistance, and then complain to management about the smoke because that cannot be good for that little baby.

4. jstanton0876 profile image60
    jstanton0876posted 6 years ago

First, I would like to say something to duffsmom. I do believe that it does take a special person to help you learn how to nurse.  Of course you can experiment until you're both comfortable. However, I'm sure helps to have someone who knows exactly what's what to help you out, especially if you've never done it before.

Secondly, I would definitely show that nurse the door and report her. It is unacceptable to show up to a person's house reeking of smoke like that. If you are a professional that is going to be around a new mother and child, there is no way you should be smoking before hand.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Times have changed, in some ways for the better. It used to be that nurses who didn't smoke had to put up with smoke-filled report rooms and nurses stations. If it were me in that situation, I think I would probably speak to the nurse's supervisor and request a different nurse. I don't think you need to be rude about it, just state your preference.

working