jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Pfizer messed up its birth control pill. Should it pay to raise babies?

1. SantaCruz profile image70
    SantaCruzposted 6 years ago

Pfizer messed up its birth control pill. Should it pay to raise babies?

If unintended pregnancies result from Pfizer's recent birth control pill mistake, should the company be required to pay for such babies' upkeep?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

That is a huge liability - but I wonder what effects it would have on the children to know that they were accidental and that parents sued to get the money to raise them.  I think there are far reaching consequences and no good answers.

3. dashingscorpio profile image85
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

Even when the pill is at it's highest quality standards no company claims their product is 100% effective. (Legally) a woman cannot be "forced" to have a child that she does NOT want. The same would hold true if there was a defective condom on the market. There are no accidental births. Morally it's a tough scenario to be put in.

4. Hypersapien profile image36
    Hypersapienposted 6 years ago

Hmmm...I think there have been cases of "wrongful life" in the past, but usually as the result of of a botched vasectomy, tubal ligation or the like.  However, the pill isn't 100% effective anyway (I think there's generally a 3% failure rate), so the problem for plaintiffs in such a lawsuit is to prove that - but for the mistake - they wouldn't have been in the 3% that would have gotten pregnant anyway.  That's likely to be impossible.  About the only way to win is if there's a class action suit and the judge looks at the aggregate numbers and says that a certain percentage of women well in excess of 3 percent (or whatever the failure rate is) became pregnant, thereby indicating liability on Pfizer's part.

working